Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Music Theory Rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Damn bloody music theory for guitar!!:banghead: Why is it so bloody difficult to even begin to grasp.......I thought I was doing well and figuring it out but then what Id seemed to have learned was sent upside down and backwards again and not even explained!!!!:eek2: Its like trying to read a japanese instruction manual in the dark the wrong way up...:confused:

Anyway,can anyone help me find a tab of a little riff I heard Sash play.I dont know the name of the song but Axl sings a little bit that ends "all your really looking for,is an even break" and then Sash finishes the riff and goes straight into Knocking on heavens Door.
Iv tried to figure it out but my ears as musical as a paving slab...:impissed:
All help appreciated.:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I'm shit at music theory but I've been producing for so many years I'm lucky enough to be able to listen to a song and hear something I like and think "Ah, that's two detuned SAW waves with a little LFO & reso going through a low cut off with long attack & decay".

It get's easier, take a look at The Raven's Spiral Guide to Music Theory - It's in PDF format.
  • Options
    theory can turn music into a bit too much of a science, it's generally beneficial to know but don't let it get to you too much, creativity will outweigh theory, but a combination of the two will help a lot too!

Playing as much as you can and making the most of your practice will help more than anything though :) Just find some scales you like and write some riffs off them, the "theory" will all come naturally as you listen to more music and play more, you just won't know the technical names for what you're doing for a lot it it :p (thats what im like anyway :d).

cant tab the song for you though soz, i prefer the lower frequencies =D

ps: its slash! sash make oldschool cheesy dance music :D
  • Options
    I know its slash!!It wouldnt let me edit dammit.....:crying:

Anyway,Iv decided to just skip over the theory and just learn to use my ear to hear the progression changes in a song or whatever.:confused:

Ps in slayers war ensemble,is the main riff after the chorus in straight sixteenths and single quarter notes or is it in a reverse gallop?
  • Options
    ahah no idea!! :D (wayyyy over my head ;p)

sometimes the snare/bass drum hits can make it sound like theres an extra note or two in there... just play it how it sounds/feels right.
  • Options
    Guitar Pro software..the answer to my Slayer riff problem.:DI highly recommend it.:thumb:
    My new problem is I cant count the beat to paradise city now.......its got like triplets in the middle of sixteenths!!!:sour: How in the name of god do I count that beat......:confused: :crying:

:lol:
  • Options
    yeah guitar pro is really handy!

seems like you're coming along decently with theory though.. (you only started recently right?) already know more than me i think lol :D

i personally time stuff just by listening to it and getting the feel, i dont count in my head, but everyones different.
  • Options
    I sound like Im half decent??!!:chin: Hmmmm......:razz:
    I dont really count the beat in my head I just find it easier to learn a song if I know the beat and what notes are supposed to land where if you see what I mean...?:confused:
    Bloody Slash though.............why does he have to make it so complicated.:grump:
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i find theory helps a lot if, especially when you're trying to work out a song. if you can hear/figure out what key its in you've already won half the battle. theory on guitar doesn't have to be that hard either. if you just learn the scales you'll soon start recognising patterns which will help you figure out keys of songs etc as well, just listen for the root note.
    piece of piss eh!?:thumb: