Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my cheese sauce keeps separating!

:crying:
the last 2 times i have made a cheese sauce, it has gone a bit curdley and separatey. It still tastes fine, but doesnt look as smooth.
can anyone think what might cause it and what i can do?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How are you making it?
  • Options
    cornflour??
  • Options
    I assume you're making it by the roux method ? I always put a bit more butter in than the recipe says, so the roux is a bit sloppier and never have any trouble with it curdling/going lumpy. I start of using a wooden spoon then switch to a whisk, this helps too. Also, when i've added the milk, i let it thicken but not come to the boil before i add more milk. Boiling, at any stage, can cause a sauce to split/curdle.

Try adding the cheese off the heat and letting the heat of the sauce melt it then put it back on a gentle heat.

Cornflour might work, a teaspoon or so in a little milk quickly whisked in.

What cheese are you using ? Not all cheeses are good for cooking.

ETA - And use the freshest milk you can. If it's close to it's use by date it can curdle.
  • Options
    I do use the roux method. The last two times when its curdled, its been when ive added it to something else. 1st a cauliflour cheese which the sauce was fine until baked in the oven, and then it came out grainy.
    The second time was last night when i made a fishermans pie. again, fine until it had been in the oven.
    Ive never used cornflour- just plain flour, its usually fine, and the cheese is any old cheddar i have in the fridge.
    Milk i get through so quickly its never close to going off, although it usually is UHT milk. I wouldnt have thought that would make any diff though??
  • Options
    I don't really know then Suze. You're obviously making it ok. All i can think of is too much cheese, oven too high, not been allowed to cook long enough on the hob first (i usually cook mine for about 5 minutes).
  • Options
    maybe its the oven too high then. I have it high to make the top crispy.
    ill try it lower for longer next time. cheers :)
  • Options
    Try puttin some breadcrumbs on top, that helps it go crispy or parmesan cheese goes really crispy if you sprinkle it on the top. Big up the crispy topping massive :thumb:
  • Options
    if it aint got a crispy topping, it aint no pie!