Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Exes

If one got in contact with you after 4 years and wanted to meet up with you for a drink, would you?

An ex of mine (a serious ex, first love, was with him for a year) has found me on Facebook (out of all places!!!) and we've been chatting on msn and stuff since and like, he keeps going on about meeting me.

We haven't really spoken much since we split up so like, I dunno, I'm just finding the idea of it a bit weird. I'm also slightly suspicious of his reasons for wanting to meet up with me so much as he has been ever so slightly flirtatious with me but then again, thats how he always was with me.

I feel like meeting up with him through curiousity to be honest, just for a catch up and what not but I dunno. I'm just a tad worried that if I see him again, I'll get all nostalgic and stuff. First love and everything :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If one got in contact with you after 4 years and wanted to meet up with you for a drink, would you?

In my circumstances, no. My most recent ex left the country without bothering to tell me, and while I bear no bitter feelings towards that, I wouldn't want to see him.

My other ex owes my parents money which he never gave back. I could probably deadlift him now as he was a scrawny little wimp, so :D
  • Options
    I dunno maaaate. I would go, out of nosiness. But I have no sense at the best of times, haha.

Are YOU wanting to go? What's the reasons putting you off going?
  • Options
    I would, why not?
  • Options
    Part of me wants to go yeah, but I really do think it is out of nosiness. I mean, it would be interesting (even though he's told me alot about his life now on msn) what he is like now and how much he has changed as a person.

The thing that is stopping me from saying yes at the moment is WHY he wants to meet up with me. I should ask him really but I don't want to make a fool of myself. I could just be assuming things. Anyway, I don't want to meet up with him if he is going to try something on with me because that will make me feel really awkward. I also don't wanna end up feeling all nostalgic because as you know, I've got a pretty busy life right now and don't have time for boy nonsense, lol.
  • Options
    If I was you, I'd ask him why he wants to meet up with you. TBH, I've never understood why anyone would want to meet up with their ex.
  • Options
    I dont know... maybe after 4 years I might.

i's barely been 6 months for me, and I'm still so very much attracted to my ex :(
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd ask him why he wants to meet up with you. TBH, I've never understood why anyone would want to meet up with their ex.

In my book, if you are over a person. In the sense of, you had or still have other happy relationships and after a time of 4(!) years I relate only veeeery little with that person. She will be just a person to get to know (if she did not cheat on me, abuse me, steal from me, or did any other fucked up things), and getting people to know is something I always put priority into.
  • Options
    Thats the thing, I feel absolutely nothing for any of my exes.

He was my first love though, if I see him, meh, I dunno! You never forget your first love do you? :(

ETA: strubbs, he cheated on me the once when he moved to University in his freshers week which is what we split up over. Not that it makes it any better buttttt, he told me the day afterwards, cried his heart out down the phone saying he was sorry and realised he'd make a mistake. When I look back at how my next ex treated me and I let him get away with it, I look back at what happened in that relationship and think, welllll, maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh on him :chin: Its something I don't think about either now. I mean, he made a mistake, its 4 years on, it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    Thats the thing, I feel absolutely nothing for any of my exes.

He was my first love though, if I see him, meh, I dunno! You never forget your first love do you? :(

Hm, I did...

I see no harm in meeting up with him. If it's crap nobody says you have to meet him again, or relate with him in any other sense. What are you afraid of? (If you stated it in the first post, I'm sorry, was a bit too long to read)
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Hm, I did...

I see no harm in meeting up with him. If it's crap nobody says you have to meet him again, or relate with him in any other sense. What are you afraid of? (If you stated it in the first post, I'm sorry, was a bit too long to read)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm completely over my exes and I am most certainly over him. I mean, I was in love again after him with someone I was with for three years. However, whenever I look back on my relationships, it is that one that I think about the most (not that I look back on my relationships much but yanno what I'm getting at!).

I dunno, you just remember your first love don't you? I don't feel anything for him but I do remember what we had. I thought that was normal :grump:

I'm not afraid to meet him as such. I just don't want him trying it on with me or anything. It would just piss me off as harsh as that makes me sound.
  • Options
    So he wasn't a nut or anything? If you split up on bad circumstances then I'd say not to go. If you want to go see him then do, but go with an open mind I guess and don't let him push you into anything. I'd be curious too, it's completely understandable.
  • Options
    What Rachael said.
  • Options
    i totally understand what you're saying about the first love. Although admittedly mine was...only about a year and a half ago, I've been with a couple of guys since then and it's only since I've been head over heels for my current fella that I haven't had, somewhere at the back of my mind, a question mark over how I'd feel if I saw him again.

I agree that the first love is different to anyone else, but I think that if you're well and truly over him you should be fine to go meet up. Although it sounds to me that you're still thinking "what if..." just a little bit...forgive me if i'm wrong :chin:
  • Options
    I would but then I'm friends with just about all my serious exes. The only one I'm not is my first love. Although I think the last time we met up it showed us that we'd both moved on and were such different people we didn't have anything left in common, which is probably why we haven't kept in touch again.

Most of my exes are my best friends. I generally don't see that you'd go out with someone if you didn't have things in commmon and be good friends, so why lose that friendship when a relationship ends. So yeah, after the required distance time to get used to not being with them they end up still being the people I can confide in in life and know will be there for me. :)
  • Options
    Ooh this happened to me. I went out with someone for like a year when i was 16 and they got in contact with me end of last year after 4 years with no contact. I met up with him just out of curiousity and it was very odd. Was like no time had passed at all, which considering that it was a bad break up was quite strange. Anyway i was slightly concerned that he wanted to get me beaten up or something but turns out he just wanted a shag :lol: Which sadly was so crap i never saw him again.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    but turns out he just wanted a shag :lol: Which sadly was so crap i never saw him again.

:lol:
  • Options
    No harm in it if you have totally moved on. I am sort of friends with mine, but thats after quite some time apart. We originally tried to be mates straight away and that went tits up. Its not so bad further down the line. We even spoke about sex and relationships together, never would have thought we would be able to have that type of relationship. Other exs I never speak to as they were mostly shite or I didn't really care for them.
  • Options
    what do you have to lose? :)