Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A rant about estate agents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, my landlady is selling the house, which means that my housemate and I not only have to be in to let estate agents in all the time, but that we are constantly fielding calls from them about viewings, etc., and it's pissing me off because I have exams.

I'm not known for keeping my place tidy, but it's tidy enough for me and every time one of the estate agents comes over they take the piss and (probably because I'm revision-fatigued and emotional) it is really winding me up.

Now my landlady has said I have to tidy it because it might put potential buyers off the property... It took all my willpower not to tell her to fuck off, after all she's expecting us to sacrifice already I am not wasting my time tidying up unless I choose to.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Comments

• Options
    You're not obliged to keep the place pristine.
  • Options
    Tell the landlady if she doesn't reason with you regards people coming round, you will tell potential buyers about the brutal murder that took place in the house a few years ago.

Yes it might be bollocks but its enough to put people off :D
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    You're not obliged to keep the place pristine.
    I know. That's what pisses me off.
  • Options
    unplug the landline and take all your calls on your mobile
  • Options
    I do. And then I get missed calls from unknown numbers & answerphone messages which I have to listen to in case they are from companies I applied to, the bank, or whatever... And the messages always say they will come round on Xday at Ypm unless we calll them back to say otherwise :rolleyes: There go my free minutes...
  • Options
    go to the uni library to do your revision.
    stick a message on the answer phone and say the only times when you/your house mate are available for them to come around.
  • Options
    I'm in the uni library. I just seem to not be gettign through that I'm not free til next week. :banghead:

And now my housemate is being a bitch.
  • Options
    I can't believe all this is being dumped on you to deal with. Surely the viewings are supposed to be managed by the estate agent via your landlady :( Can't she hang on til you have vacated the property?? Then she can deal with it all and leave you to your exams! - I think as a landlady to students she is being really unfair.
  • Options
    We had problems with an agency showing people around without enough notice. One day I just took my clothes off to be in my underwear when they were there to make them feel uncomfortable. They stopped showing people around after that and waited until we'd moved out.
  • Options
    Leave a message on your answerphone with the landlady's number on saying if it's about the house sale ring her.
    And she can't make you tidy the house, fuck her.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    We had problems with an agency showing people around without enough notice. One day I just took my clothes off to be in my underwear when they were there to make them feel uncomfortable. They stopped showing people around after that and waited until we'd moved out.

love it! you star, that is funny and seemingly... efficient!
  • Options
    Our old landlady decided she was going to sell up while we were away staying at my in-laws for a weekend away/visit - we had no savings, no where to go and a 3-year-old :mad: Everytime someone came around to view the place I told them about the ants, the noisy/druggy neighbour (I'm not kidding, when our old neighbour had sex, the neighbour on the otherside could hear her! :o ), the stuck & rotting skylight, the smelly mouldy bathroom, the syringes that were left in the alleyway, the trouble with people coming out of the pub at the bottom of the road, cars being set alight etc etc :yes: Oh, and most of it was true, if a little exaggerated :thumb:

Fortunately I have an old family friend who owned a local shop & some houses and she offered us a place (she was kicking a tenant out for not paying his rent!) to live. A month later the house still hadn't sold and they ended up dropping the price by £5-10,000 :thumb: The house is going up for sale again with the new owners (3 years later) and I can't wait to see what it's going for this time :lol: