Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nintendo Wii

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got one?

If so what they like and have you used one to surf the net?

Anything on there that vaguely represents exercise?

I know it's supposed to have that fancy remote that you use to move about things on screen.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I do. I like the thing, and yeah I've used the web browser, which is pretty good for a keyboardless machine. As for exercise, maybe if you do lots of wii sports it would help. And another game (wario ware smooth moves) has a mode where it asks you to do some movements for some time, and supposedly it helps. But you shouldn't dream of having it substitute proper exercise I think.
  • Options
    It is good, fun and exercise but can in no way replace proper exercise, which I believe was never the Wii's intention,

Wii = ROCKS tbh, brouser is really good aswell.
  • Options
    The Wii kicks ass, PS3 or Xbox 360 may have better graphics but the control method on the Wii is so novel/revolutionary it actually makes you not care.
    It's getting to a point where manufacturers are only worried about graphics, the gameplay on just the freebie games on the Wii is fantastic.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The Wii kicks ass, PS3 or Xbox 360 may have better graphics but the control method on the Wii is so novel/revolutionary it actually makes you not care.
    It's getting to a point where manufacturers are only worried about graphics, the gameplay on just the freebie games on the Wii is fantastic.

Totally true, who gives a crap about the graphics when you can play tennis like real tennis? You are active during specific games but unless they bring out a proper exercise game, it wont ever really compete with real exercise.

Nintendo took a step right out of the box and into the triangle with the Wii.

The browser is pretty good, and fast too.

Plus you can get all the throwback games like Mario 64 and even old Sega games like Sonic and Streets of Rage, got a memory card reader so you can check out ur pics on the TV, Weather channel, the Wii network, and you can make yourself as a Mii (I made my entire family, plus Micheal jackson, Angelina Jolie, Borat ect- seriously fun, but wasted about 3 hours doin that)

I love mine!:heart::heart:
  • Options
    I thought it was a bit gimmicky tbh! Couldn't get the hang of the controller. Tried wii sports boxing and it was just random.

And red steel was mental. (in a very bad way)
  • Options
    You have to realise though that the bundled sports pack doesn't fully showcase the Wii's capabilities, except perhaps tennis which is awesome. The paid-for games such as Zelda do.
  • Options
    Wario Ware is a good one to show a lot of things the controller can do.
  • Options
    Never brought a Nintendo, they never really appealed to me, and it was obvious with the N64 then the Gamecube that aside from the odd game specific to that console they could never compete with the PS and in turn the PS2 and Xbox.

So they did they did what should be the obvious, yet what i never expected them to actually do, and thats to "pull out the race" for the most powerful console etc... and go at it from a new position.

And i think they have succeeded big time, by scrapping the push for better graphics etc... the only audiance they are losing out on, are customers who would of probably gone with the PS3 or X-box 360 anyway, instead they've gained new young customers, the family audiance, and the odd person who doesn't really have time to be sat in front of a little black box for 15 hours a day, and just wants a quick game, interactive knock about.

Then it's also much cheaper than the other two, with a selection of games thrown in to get you straight in to the action as soon as you take it from the box.

So all those lovely reasons are why i got the girlfriend one for her birthday (even though its a month away yet! it's just sat in it's box till then... soooo tempted to give it a go! I'll resist though)
  • Options
    N64 was better than the playstation! :D Was more powerful.

Gamecube, well, that's a quircky thing. I've got one though, it's good for party games.

But N64 had goldeneye, perfect dark, analogue control stick, expansion slots for extra memory or a gpu upgrade, could have 4 controllers natively, didn't need memory cards, had rumble packs, Zelda, no loading times on games, I can go on...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    N64 was better than the playstation! :D Was more powerful.

But N64 had goldeneye, perfect dark, analogue control stick, expansion slots for extra memory or a gpu upgrade, could have 4 controllers natively, didn't need memory cards, had rumble packs, Zelda, no loading times on games, I can go on...

But never took the top spot, I was considering the N64 just before i got the old PS, the only thing i saw going for it ahead of the PS, was Goldeneye and Mario Kart, beyond that even with it being more powerful, i never saw the graphics has being better than the PS - Perhaps i was biased from the start and am looking back through PS tinted glasses, as for Zelda... never liked it :eek: *hides*
  • Options
    Cool ... so can the Wii be used on the internet with a proper USB Mouse and Keyboard or even better plug a Wireless Keyboard and mouse into it?

Someone I met today said even YouTube works well on the Wii

Also what Video connectors are there on the back? Want basically something to connect to an LCD TV that will allow Web Browsing / Emails (such as GMail) and the odd game - rather then forking out for a entire Laptop for my Aunt who already has the LCD TV bit.

But unless you can plug a proper Keyboard and Mouse into it - can't really see it happening.
  • Options
    Just found this pic think it's from an older Nintendo system but something like that would be ace..

gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg
  • Options
    Cool ... so can the Wii be used on the internet with a proper USB Mouse and Keyboard or even better plug a Wireless Keyboard and mouse into it?
    No USB keyboard or mouse support so far, sadly. The remote replaces the mouse very well, and there's an onscreen keyboard which works better than you'd think (but still not close to a real one of course).
    Someone I met today said even YouTube works well on the Wii
    I think so, though I've not tried it much.
    Also what Video connectors are there on the back? Want basically something to connect to an LCD TV that will allow Web Browsing / Emails (such as GMail) and the odd game - rather then forking out for a entire Laptop for my Aunt who already has the LCD TV bit.
    There is one video output port. The box comes with an RCA cable and an RCA to SCART convertor, but you can buy other kinds of cables separately. For an LCD TV (not LCD monitor) I think the compo cable will be best.
    But unless you can plug a proper Keyboard and Mouse into it - can't really see it happening.
    Frankly, with the wiimote I don't miss a mouse at all. I'd even say it's better than a mouse. There's no keyboard as I said, but the on-screen one works pretty well.

I still wouldn't think it's worth getting a wii for that reason though, don't forget it's mainly a games machine. And in any case, remember that the web broswer is free until June/July. After that you need to pay for it, and since it will cost 500 wii points and (as far as I know) you can't buy less than 1000 at a time, the other 500 will be wasted unless she wants to download a game as well.
  • Options
    But if you Download the browser before June isn't it free?

I assume you only need to download it once and then run it as often as you want?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Points

Bare in mind a PC can have 100 times more things go wrong with it - and if it goes wrong I'll be the one that gets allt he calls to come fix this and that. :yes:

My Aunt is like in her 70's and thought the Wii might actually be simplier to use then a PC .. bearing in mind she's never used one before as far as I know.

I think using the remote instead of a mouse might be ok - never used it - but real keyboard will be essential
  • Options
    Yes, if you DL it once while it's free you could delete it and re-download it in the same wii forever. The "price" is basically for the right to use this software.
  • Options
    I assume you can't crash a Nintendo like a PC or have viruses on it the same way?
  • Options
    Not so far, although the ability to visit web pages does make it suspectible to viruses that would have been written for a wii. So far though no one has heard of a wii virus.
    As for crashing, not that I've heard of. Though it's possible to get a defective console, in which case nintendo will replace it for free and transfer all files over (which means you won't have to buy the browser again).
  • Options
    Found a video on here that helped explain it

http://uk.wii.com/movies/internetchannel_video/

Bit worrying though how like a lot of stuff on there is in Japanese .. I'd have expected such a company to make the effort to redo their videos and examples in English, if only for the sake of the American market
  • Options
    Not only is it in japanese, it's a video of the old version. The current one is much better.

Here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2_FitjEHrw
  • Options
    I had a look in the shops yesterday

Those things are not easy to find and when they are you have to buy a huge pack - some were like almost £280 with a bunch of games - when all I want is the most basic pack ..

Is see Logitech reckon they'll be bringing out a Keyboard for it soon.
  • Options
    I had a look in the shops yesterday

Those things are not easy to find and when they are you have to buy a huge pack - some were like almost £280 with a bunch of games - when all I want is the most basic pack ..

Is see Logitech reckon they'll be bringing out a Keyboard for it soon.
    Strange that you can't find it on its own, these packages you mention are not official. I.E. the stores themselves add games to it (the package only has one inside).
    As for keyboards, I highly doubt it. There's no support for them. No drivers and no way to use them in the software. The only way to input text is the on-screen one.
  • Options
    It's still quite hard to find, without getting an overpriced bundle.
  • Options
    thats funny, i've found it relatively easy to find em now and I live on an island on the coast of scotland
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    thats funny, i've found it relatively easy to find em now and I live on an island on the coast of scotland

I assume you mean on the internet?
  • Options
    actually no, when I went onto mainland couple of weeks ago I saw it in a couple of shops on its own without games,
  • Options
    It's relatively easy to find here too, but this is a different country :p