Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So how does one lose their virginity?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on from this thread in sex, how does one lose their virginity?
    By penetrating a vagina with a penis / by being vaginally penetrated by a penis?
    By having any sexual contact (as broad or as narrow as the definition of sexual contact)?
    Any contact that involves vaginal / anal penetration?
    Other?

The most popular definition in the other thread seemed to be no.1, but where does that leave,
    Exclusively lesbian women?
    Gay men who are 'bottoms' (i.e. passive)
    For that matter, gay "tops"

It strikes me as being horrendously heteronormative; and although it has been suggested that there should be an alternative term for gay couples I'm not sure I agree.

In my own case, I would argue that there came a point when I would consider that I had had sex with my girlfriend (I'll spare you the gory details) and thus that I was no longer a virgin. Surely it's not one rule for straight people and one for gay people; just because neither of us has a penis, that means we are both still virgins?

Incidentally, this isn't an attack on anything that was said or anyone who posted in the other thread. I just thought it could be interesting to set the P&D crowd onto the problem!

Comments

• Options
    It's an interesting point. I guess traditionally and for women at least you could say when the hymen was broken. Though I think we have to rethink that a bit. Like you said, what of lesbians? Do they remain 'virgins' until they have sex with a man? Or until one of them uses a strap-on dildo on the other?

I think the medical term and the social term for virginity are nowadays entirely different things.
  • Options
    I would say once you have had a fully involved sexual experience then you're not a virgin. I dont think it drastically matters whether that involves two men, two women or some of each. Something has to penetrate some one else, or if its two women they both have to be involved.
  • Options
    I think virginity is a state of mind more than anything else. Seems pointless to try and box up and define something as fluid as sexuality in terms of the sole physical side of it, ignoring the emotional.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd say it's when someone has a sexual experience which involves their own or someone else's genitalia (or both).
  • Options
    Well that's interesting, then, because by that definition, could that mean that each time you have a meaningful sexual experience with a new person (whether that's with a man or woman), you're losing a virginity of sorts??
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Well that's interesting, then, because by that definition, could that mean that each time you have a meaningful sexual experience with a new person (whether that's with a man or woman), you're losing a virginity of sorts??
    You mean mine? No, you'd "lose" (I hate this expression, there's a thread on this) it once, when you first do something like what I described.

Sorry if you didn't mean my definition. That's what the "quote message in reply" box is for. ;):p
  • Options
    You mean mine? No, you'd "lose" (I hate this expression, there's a thread on this) it once, when you first do something like what I described.

Sorry if you didn't mean my definition. That's what the "quote message in reply" box is for. ;):p

:p Yeeess...I meant yours....using 'quote'...happy now??? :p

But what I'm saying is that that can't really work as a definition of virginity...well...suppose you'd have to add 'for the first time' in there somewhere....
  • Options

Well, I guess it depends on the power you give it. A friend of mine was raped as a child. By conventional definitions, she would have 'lost' her virginity then as she was penetrated, but she didn't consider losing her virginity until she started sleeping with her partner when she was older.

In general, I don't think the concept of 'lost' is helpful either. But like I said, so many other factors play into it.
  • Options
    :p Yeeess...I meant yours....using 'quote'...happy now??? :p

But what I'm saying is that that can't really work as a definition of virginity...well...suppose you'd have to add 'for the first time' in there somewhere....
    Happy, yes. Oh so happy! :D:p

Ahem. I didn't think it was needed, because technically you can't lose something more than once, unless you find it again in the meanwhile. ;)
  • Options
    Happy, yes. Oh so happy! :D:p

Ahem. I didn't think it was needed, because technically you can't lose something more than once, unless you find it again in the meanwhile. ;)

But that's what the whole debate's about!! How do you define losing it?? For instance, if a girl sleeps with a bloke, then she's physically lost her virginity, but if she sleeps with a girl for the first time after that, and it means more, then what's that??

Not sure if I'm getting that across very well...but hopefully you understand what I mean...
  • Options
    It's the first time that you do anything...
  • Options
    So is there a first time for a girl sleeping with a guy and a first time for a girl sleeping with a girl?

Say a girl slept with a few girls, and then with a guy. Would the latter then count as her loss of virginity?

If it involves any sort of penetration, then for lesbians this would include fingering. But Im sure not many people would count fingering as losing one's virginity in a heterosexual relationship.
  • Options
    does it really have to be a matter of debate?

it can just be the first time you have sexual intercourse, or the equivalent thereof for your sexual orientation. exactly what you decide that equivalent to be is up to you.

sure, it is heteronormative, as you put it, but that's just where the word comes from. I really dont feel that it's necessary to expand the description or invent new words for the sake of political correctness.
  • Options
    But that's what the whole debate's about!! How do you define losing it?? For instance, if a girl sleeps with a bloke, then she's physically lost her virginity, but if she sleeps with a girl for the first time after that, and it means more, then what's that??

Not sure if I'm getting that across very well...but hopefully you understand what I mean...
    I think you're getting confused over nothing... With my definition, the first time (s)he does anything related to genitalia with another person, (s)he's not a virgin. And that's all.
    I might add "voluntarily" in there, but that's the subject of another debate.
  • Options
    As the esteemed Addam Carola of the show Love-Line once said "it's like football, all that needs to happen is for it (the penis) to cross the plane and it counts."

Although I never did understand why people build up losing virginity so much; the dude usually doesn't last long, the sex is bad, and the girl bleeds all over the place. Sounds like a big-assed let down if ya ask me.
  • Options
    Perhaps a loss of virginity can mean different things to different people. Perhaps it can be defined as never having had sexual intercourse, oral or manual stimulation with a partner.

Just as there is not one kind of sex or sexual act, perhaps there is not one kind of virginity. Remember that this word was probably coined when peoples' views on sex was 'less broad'.

Even the phrase 'loss of' is old fashioned these days. People more often than not, tend to feel liberated by their sexual awakening and first sexual experience.
  • Options
    Why does it matter? It's obvious to everyone now that it's a matter of personal opinion as to wether or not you have lost your virginity.
  • Options

I'd agree with that really, given your experience with the new person is going to be different from what came before.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Following on from this thread in sex, how does one lose their virginity?
      By penetrating a vagina with a penis / by being vaginally penetrated by a penis?
      By having any sexual contact (as broad or as narrow as the definition of sexual contact)?
      Any contact that involves vaginal / anal penetration?
      Other?

I think you'd have to exclude any type of medical exam in this.

I think it's a rather grey area tbh.
  • Options
    Sorry, know this thread is a couple weeks old but just wanted to add my oar in:
    Imho, virginity counts when you start worrying about contraception. Or when there's a risk of catching something/getting pregnant, regardless of whether you actually worry about it :p
    I disagree with the definition of anything involving other people's genitalia or your own, because then does fingering count? I don't feel it does. :)
  • Options
    i think if youre being sexually active, and that includes tongues, mouths fingers in/around penises and/or vaginas then youre pushing it a bit to call yourself virginal.