Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How direct debits work....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, I can't bloody well add £7.10 to £8.40 and I've ended up with £1 less in my bank account than I need to pay my bills. So I went to sleep last night expecting to wake up with bank charges and the lot.

Checked my bank this morning and it's not gone out yet. Clearly, this is a good thing, as I can go into town and put the extra goddamn pound back in my bank, but for various reasons I can't get there til about half 12, possibly later. What is the likelyhood of this going out before then? I really don't knowhow direct debits work.

Comments

• Options
    Im not very mathematical but il try to help

i think direct debit is when they take money from once place and put it into another
  • Options
    They don't charge you for direct debits/standing orders, I think. They didn't for me, anyway.
  • Options
    If you have an account that credits cash immediately and you get to the bank today then you are probably going to be alright. DD don't have fixed times.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    They don't charge you for direct debits/standing orders, I think. They didn't for me, anyway.

They do, and it's usually more than for going over your limit/overdraft. I got charged once, but I went in and argued that I would've been able to put the money in, if those lazy bastards weren't having a bank holiday, and they refunded the charge. But I think it was about £30 compared to £10 for going over your overdraft.
  • Options
    Yeh it is possible for you to be charged for either;

Them refusing to pay the D/D due to insufficient funds in your account
    or
    Them honouring the D/D and then charging you for going overdrawn

I would go in discuss it with them and make sure any possible charges are removed...
  • Options
    They do, and it's usually more than for going over your limit/overdraft. I got charged once, but I went in and argued that I would've been able to put the money in, if those lazy bastards weren't having a bank holiday, and they refunded the charge. But I think it was about £30 compared to £10 for going over your overdraft.
    :chin:.

They didn't charge me for my £30 standing order, even though they did charge me (£30 :grump: ) for going less than a fiver over what I had in there when I took some money out.

I'm obviously not an expert, though, and I'd go with what everyone else said.