Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Emotional Abuse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well as the title suggests this is about emotional abuse-not sure if this is the right place to post but hey ho itll be moved if its not-anyway my counsellor as another explanantion to my self harming tendencies has suggested i am a victim of emotional abuse-a kind of take on sexual or physical abuse-but i was wondering i dont really know much about it or what it means or anything-anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Well I went on a course today at abuse and stuff (because im a p.a. in an elderly home to the manager) and emotional abuse i think links in with verbal ..
    Sexual - Inappropriate touching, rape etc.
    Physical - Punching, kicking, biting, pinching etc.
    Verbal - Name calling, threats, insulting etc.
    Emotional - Mind games, blackmailing (pretty much the same as verbal)

I have some notes on it i can pm you if you like ?
  • Options
    Well I went on a course today at abuse and stuff (because im a p.a. in an elderly home to the manager) and emotional abuse i think links in with verbal ..
    Sexual - Inappropriate touching, rape etc.
    Physical - Punching, kicking, biting, pinching etc.
    Verbal - Name calling, threats, insulting etc.
    Emotional - Mind games, blackmailing (pretty much the same as verbal)

I have some notes on it i can pm you if you like ?

if you dont mind thanks
  • Options
    if you dont mind thanks

No problem i will get it to u as soon as i can :)
  • Options
    My training on this tends to focus on younger kids, but maybe you can work it out up the age group. This is taken from the NSPCC Keeping Children Safe course:
    Emotional Abuse. This abuse is persistent or severe emotional ill treatment or rejection that has serious effect on the childs normal development. It includes: Persistently withholding love and affection which are essential to the childs emotional development. Constantly shouting at, threatening or demeaning a child. Being over protective to the extent where the child is not allowed to mix with others. Racial and other forms of harassment that undermines a childs self esteem and prevents the child developing a positive self image.

Signs of emotional abuse are: Delayed physical or emotional development, sudden speech disorders. Compulsive nervous behaviour, reluctance to have parents contacted, execessive deference, lack of confidence, or a need for approval, attention or affection.

Thats a fairly harsh desription taken from the training notes, but hope that helps explain the term a bit for you.
  • Options
    Abuse doesn't just include the adult-abusing-child scenario, it can be anyone more powerful than their victim e.g. it could be a person more powerful than you at the time but they themselves could be another child or young person or as an adult it could include anyone with some type of power over you like a doctor, boss, family member etc.
  • Options
    I dont know my counsellor did give me a load of stuff to read on it but none of its made much sense and although i can see the traits of the victim in me i cant actually see what the abuse was as im so sure what happened wasnt intentional-this is to do with my parents by the way and it happened between ages of 4 and 9 mainly though still apparently carrying on now but as i said im not convinced-i mean last night i just went nuts cos i couldnt believe it and was blaming myself again for everything-my friend pointed out my mother had post-natal depression and i was only little but i still blame myself for it all i mean if i hadnt been born there wouldnt have been these problems so it is my fault-sorry went off track there im just trying to get my thoughts together sorry
  • Options
    Hey don't apologise, that's what these boards are for!
    It sounds like you're quite confused about what your counsellor has been telling you. Try not to have all the answers all at once, sometimes it takes a lot of soul searching and help to get to the bottom of certain issues. It can be especially hard when family and friends are at the heart of our problems as facing the possibility that they aren't the people we think they are is a hard realisation. Try to take it one step at a time - the fact that you're seeing a counsellor and willing to learn about what they're suggesting is really positive. Perhaps you should talk to your counsellor about the possibility of discussing some of this with your parents? It sounds like you've been burying a lot of emotions - maybe they have too? It might be a difficult and painful process but hopefully it will help you eventually.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Im just really unsure of what to do I cant tell my parents any of this i just cant they wont understand as i dont know they just wont sorry