Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tattoos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right whose got what wear

did it hurt

how expensive wear they

I am hopefully going to get one this month but im not sure where and whether i have enough money .. I would like to get an 'F' as its one of my initals

suggestions .. ?

Comments

• Options
    Got four-

one on my arm- my name, cost $40, didn't hurt (stupid, but pretty, and i was 14, so whatever)

One on my wrist- Ohm sign, cost £35 and didnt hurt at all

One on my lower back- original design by myself of a butterfly and swirlies, cost $140...really flippin hurt but i love it!

One below my navel/above my underwear line- saying "Ad Astra Per Aspera"- cost £35, and I love it, and didn't hurt at all

Think of something personal or unique to you that you wont mind looking at when you're 50 yrs old, do your research on the tattoo parlour and dont let them take the piss. I went to Camden to get one and they were trying to charge me £250 quid for my belly one that really cost £35.

Piccies of them:
    detail?.dir=5c38re2&.dnm=6bddre2.jpg&.src=ph Ohm while it was healing
    detail?.dir=5c38re2&.dnm=ba94re2.jpg&.src=phAd Astra...check out my belly freckles!
  • Options
    Cool.

I'm gonna get a heart with my gf's name in it on my upper arm.

i'm pretty skinny tho so gonna have to put on weight first. lol

cheers for the advice

Did you get the numbing cream applied befoer you got yours done or not?
  • Options
    Numbing cream is for pussies.
  • Options
    Cascara wrote: »
    Cool.

I'm gonna get a heart with my gf's name in it on my upper arm.

i would seriously stop and think about what you are doing!!

how old are you? how long have you been together?
  • Options
    When i got mine done i didn't even know about numbing cream.

Just a word of advice though... my last three tattoos have outlasted my last three boyfriends. I really wouldn't get someone's name on you, it really is forever.

I've got three tattoos, i've got a rose halfway up my back to the right of my spine, and that hurt a LOT - it was right over my kidneys. That cost me £45 when i was 16.

I've got a fairy on the base of my back to the other side of the rose, and that was £35 and didn't hurt too much.

And i've got a heart, star and flower combination on the outside of my hip, and that was £25 and didn't really hurt.

I really want a treble clef and a dragon now, but i'm running out of places i'm prepared to put them!
  • Options
    Numbing cream isn't really necessary for most tattoos, I didn't get it when I had either of mine but then I am hard as nails as I suppose that's par for the course.

I hate to bring negativity to you all and seriously I feel like such an old, boring codger but I am starting to see why "adults" speak so negatively of tattoos and why teenagers get so many in quasi-rebellion.

Be 100% sure about what you want, where you want it, what you want to to look like, talk to your artist about it, go home and think about it, talk to your friends, think about it again, draw it on in pen and see if you don't think you look like a twat when you wake up the next morning, think about it again, talk to your mum (she WILL be negative :p), think about it again and if you're still ONE HUNDRED PER CENT sure then think about maybe, possibly getting it done for your 40th birthday!

I was one of those 100% sure people and I still regret my two. Well regret is probably too strong of a word, I look at them as relics of my youthful stupidity which is sweet but I'd still rather they weren't there! I have 'three little birds' on my ankle and the peace symbol on my shoulder. They're tiny and fairly inconsequential and I am so grateful for my youthful modesty... I remember at one point I was going to get a fairy (!) or a shamrock. May the saints preserve us all from youthful stupidity.

Oh, and a resounding "no" to name tattoos. If you'd like to see evidence of a dipshit's plans gone awry then I can get a photo of my bloke's tattoo of his ex-wife's name. Woo! Once again, he blamed the drugs but I think it must be to do with a knock to the head when young. The worst tattoo story I know is from when my best mate at school got "Gaz" on a banner held by BUGS BUNNY (!) tattooed just above her arse. I imagine that is probably her biggest single regret to date. Oh, to be 14 and "in wuv".

I don't know her well enough anymore to ask her how blokes react when in flagrante doggy-style but I would fully support her if she decided to change it to "Gazza", for comedy value :lol: :thumb:

I'm sure you will get it done, despite my horror stories, come back and show us when ya do :D
  • Options
    Got a lizard on my bikini line, hopign to get one of my managers to fix it up for me.

Recently got wings on my back. Youch, but they look :heart::heart::heart:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I remember at one point I was going to get a fairy (!) or a shamrock. May the saints preserve us all from youthful stupidity.

Oi! I've got a fairy!

In fairness... she is a victorian style line drawing rather than anything else. But still :mad:
  • Options
    Oi! I've got a fairy!

In fairness... she is a victorian style line drawing rather than anything else. But still :mad:

:lol: Nothing against fairies, and a line drawing fairy sounds quite classy.

I was going more for the hideous 'flower pot fairy' kinda thing with glitter and the whole she-bang. I know I would've regretted it the very next day! I think quite a lot of people on here might have fairies actually so I should learn to shut up, haha!
  • Options
    I'm 19 and we've been going out for 4 almost 5 years now.

I know it must sound immature.

but it's gonna be a heart with a white bit across it (with the name in, in black) so IF anything ever happens i can go back and get the name erased with white ink.

I checked with several tattoo parlours and it's definately possible to do that. so even if worst comes to worst I'll have a nice heart ;)

But it hopefully won't come to that (not trying to sound too naive)
  • Options
    Sounds UBER dodgy to me, planning coverups and such.

Sounds like not getting names tattooed is a more sensible (and cheap!) approach, in the long run.
  • Options
    As opposed to a name, how about something you design together? or something that is symbollic of this person?

it can be a painful reminder IF things were to ever not work out....
  • Options
    oooh at the risk of sounding old b4 my years, scarily, briggi speaks a lot of truth!
    it's amazing how much you can change or 'grow up' in even a few months! i'm 18 (and a half) got a butterfly (i know, how chavesqe, but its actually quite unusual, a one off design) above my pelvic bone, when i had just turnt 17. (cost £35).
    i do love it nd at the time i took the view that 'when im 50 no-one will see my stomach'. perhaps i should have taken a little more mature view on that!!
    it definitly represents how i was feeling at the time, insecure, messed up, stressed out.
    defo suggest thinkin long and hard b4 u decide wot and where u will get done.
    but u c, i say all this, im currently debating whether a dragon on my leg (have u seen pink's?) or a lizard up my spine would suit me best!!
    how contradictory...
    anyway think hard!!!!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My 17 year old cousin and her FIANCE who she has been with for all of 3 months have eachothers initials tattooed on their ankles...my dad made a remark, her initials wont be the same after she gets married! haha!
    I shouldnt laugh, but I thought she was sensible!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    ...my dad made a remark, her initials wont be the same after she gets married! haha!

:lol: poor girl!
  • Options
    tattoos are fun, even though im scared of needles.
  • Options
    dude, for a start a heart on your arm is fucking awful, secondly with some girls name it - come on, please! Get real.
  • Options
    i recently got 2 hearts interlinked with angel wings saying always in my heart - dad and nan on my shoulder, it cost £65, the onli bit that hurt was the tip of a wing thats on my shoulderblade.

i would never get anyones name tattooed on me, the only reason i have dad and nan is because they passed away at a young age.

but its up to you, if you want some1s name tattooed go for it!
  • Options
    I've got "What goes around comes around" written around my leg. I love it. Hurt like fuck accross the shin, but here's a piccy!

n861200480_414945_2839.jpg
  • Options
    I've got "What goes around comes around" written around my leg. I love it. Hurt like fuck accross the shin, but here's a piccy!

n861200480_414945_2839.jpg

Oooo I like that one!

I have always wanted to get a phoenix done on my very lower back, right by my bum, unfortunately though I only want a little one but want a detailed colour drawing of a phoenix... very unlikely it is going to happen as I think all I could hope for is a line drawing and I really don't think that would do it justice...

My husband has got a tattoo on his left arm of a rose with his own name... always makes me laugh... I reckon he got it in case he ever forgets his name! It is a really nice rose though so i'll let him off... he wants a huge dragon over his right shoulder which I would :heart: - found the tattoo artist we want to use but now need to choose the design and find the cash!
  • Options
    I have a random design on my hip bone that goes so low that only me and my fella ever get to see the bottom of it :naughty: The bottom of that hurt like hell but not so much you would ever need numbing cream methinks! Also have our anniversary date in roman numberals on my ankle. He has it matching on his back!

I think you should think twice before having names, plus you could choose something so much more classy! I mean we have matching ones but they only mean something to us two and if god forbid anything did ever happen i can just say it is some other significant date! lol :blush: I was told that after having the first one my ankle one would hurt less because of the area but omg it hurt more! Still wouldnt bother with the cream though! lol
  • Options
    I got a tattoo done about two years ago. I was staying at an ex boyfriend's and woke up and told him I wanted a tattoo. So we went and got one done together. It was quite nice :) We still talk about our tatts today and laugh about it.

Don't regret mine at all. It's very small and on my upper right arm. It's a butterfly stencilled in black and then with the colours pink purple and white inside. Sounds corny but it's so dainty and I love it. Always reminds me of the day I decided to do something completely spontaneous and makes me smile.

It didn't hurt and was more of an irratating continuous scratch. The guy who did it was really sweet too. I managed to guess he was from New Zealand so we chatted about that for a while. He did a brilliant job so I was very lucky considering it was completely unplanned or anything.

My ex got one of those gay emo stars on his wrist. Hehe
  • Options
    I have two, a butterfly on my lower leg/ankle area, and two heart outlines on my hip to symbolise my friends and family.

They didn't HURT as such - although they were by no means enjoyable - but I love them and wouldn't change them for the world. They weren't overly expensive either, £30 for my butterfly, and £15 for my hearts... but thats only because I gave him £5 tip for being such a good laugh and putting my nervous friend (who was having a much bigger and more detailed one done) at complete ease :) Would recommend the place I got mine to anyone.
  • Options
    i got a tat on the top of my back its three hearts ( one big one n two little one around it) one= mum nxt= god son third nan. it didn hurt it jus a werid uncomfortable feelin i would defo get another one already startin 2 plan wat 2 get n where gt myn dun less den a month ago n bearin in mind i HATE needles when i ave 2 ave a injection/blood test i ave panic attacks but i was fine with the tattoo. so i would say go for it. p.s. for the person getting dere partners name i suggest u think very hard about it member it hurts mre to remove a tattoo den it does 2 put on it also cost mre.