Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alternatives To Cows & Soya Milk?

Currently, I'm intolerant to cows' milk and have a feeling that I'm also intolerant to soya milk.

Can someone please suggest an alternative that's not too expensive and doesn't taste too awful?

Thanks.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rice milk is apparently quite good, especially on cereal. It's a bit sweeter than cow's milk.

I feel your pain, i'm very intolerant to all forms of lactose, and am slightly intolerant to soya. But i've never eaten or drunk it so i don't really feel like i'm missing out :)
  • Options
    Rice milk is gorgeous, that's the obvious choice.

There are loads of brands of it these days, but my preference is one called Rice Dream which you buy along with the UHT milk in the aisles of supermarkets with the milk that doesn't need to be chilled (though it does need to be chilled once opened). You get it in sweetened and unsweetened varieties and they also do vanilla (nice) and chocolate (not so nice).

I buy the unsweetened as it's to our taste, but obviously that's down to you. It's lovely just to drink, mixes really well into tea and coffee, good on cereal, you can cook with it etc. I'd never go back to buying cow's milk now - I only ever buy rice milk, and occasionally soya or goat's milk these days and that's all I want to give my children too. I probably did the typical "new parent hypochondriac" thing but I did read an awful lot of research suggesting that cow's milk is simply not good for humans -- especially not in the quantities we drink it. There can't be that many evil people with agendas against the dairy industry and even if there are I'm happy with my current milk consumption ;) I do miss the old blue top sometimes, though!
  • Options
    There is always goats milk if you are a dairy fiend?
  • Options
    milk.jpg

or

homo.jpg

:D
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    There is always goats milk if you are a dairy fiend?

Goat's milk still has lactose in it, i think she's looking for lactose free alternatives :)
  • Options
    There's one in tesco called lactofree or something that my friend swears by and he's lactose intolerant.
  • Options
    Goat's milk still has lactose in it, i think she's looking for lactose free alternatives :)

Yes I am.

:p @ Rubberskin.
  • Options
    Is it because of IBS you want an alternative ? I've a friend who has IBS and she had a lot of trouble with cow's milk, but she was told to try steralised (if you like the taste) and she's had no problems with it.
  • Options
    Yes. I am also lactose intolerant. Have tried lactose free and found it to be very sweet.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I am also lactose intolerant.

Are you sure you're not a kitten :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not a kitten :D

:p Last time I checked I wasn't.
  • Options
    There's one in tesco called lactofree or something that my friend swears by and he's lactose intolerant.

Ive got some of that and its fine. Its like normal milk but slightly less sweet. Fine in coffee though as i dont like rice milk or soyal milk in coffee
  • Options
    Ive got some of that and its fine. Its like normal milk but slightly less sweet. Fine in coffee though as i dont like rice milk or soyal milk in coffee

I thought you couldn't use soya milk in Coffee because it turns to curds or something?

I've had lactose free before so will try to go back on it again.
  • Options

It's just bogstandard whole cow's milk with the lactose removed. I love it!

Don't love the price though. :(

I used to buy it for my ferrets (they're lactose intolerant, like cats), stole a bit to put on my cereal and found that for the first time in forever, milk + cereal didn't = half an hour on the loo :thumb:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    milk + cereal didn't = half an hour on the loo :thumb:

Equation of the Week :D
  • Options
    My ex was lactose intolerent and he used to have sheeps milk... very pricey and not to my taste, but it is full freezable so he used to stock up...
  • Options
    interesting read

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/02/27/nmilk227.xml/

Tried to have goats milk once but it smells so bad couldn't bring myself to drink it..
  • Options
    Interesting read, DiamondGeezer.

I do quite like Goats milk but I got told it was too expensive or something so mum refused to buy it for me. (this was 4 years ago)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Interesting read, DiamondGeezer.

I do quite like Goats milk but I got told it was too expensive or something so mum refused to buy it for me. (this was 4 years ago)

You can get it in all the super markets - can't stand the way it smells though - but if you grew up on a farm then maybe some people can't smell it as much.