Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anaemic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so I've been diagnosed as being anaemic a few times before, mainly when i was 16/17ish. I was just given iron tablets to take and it righted itself (i think). I'm 23 now and I've been getting some of the symptoms i used to get when I was anaemic, like feeling tired a lot even when i've had enough sleep, bruising really easily, going dizzy...

do i need to go to a doctor to get diagnosed or can i just go to the chemist and get some iron tablets, or multivitamins that contain iron?

just feel a bit silly if i have to go and have a blood test and that and they give me tablets that i can just go and get myself from the chemist.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    I would probably try ones from the chemist, see if it got better and not go to the docs if the symptoms went. The problem with that is if it's something else, serious, or needing to be detected early for better treatment, it will make things worse by delaying seeing the doc. The pharmacist may be able to answer a few ques?
  • Options
    Yes you are right that most of the time you go to the doc who tells you to do a blood test after which they give you tablets that you can yourself buy from the chemist but at least you are assured that you?ve got the proper medication for the disease your are suffering from. I think that to be on the safe side, you better consult the doc again.
  • Options
    I would go to the doctor to make sure you have it first and it's not a sympton of something else.
  • Options
    I'm the same, used to be aneamic for a long time when I was younger but am not now. However, I still get the symptoms sometimes because I'm borderline. I'd get some iron tablets and see if they make a difference. I'd reccomend getting a multivitamin and iron to make sure you're not lacking in anything, and if you still feel the same then go back to the doctors :)
  • Options
    If it's an inkling rather than a problem, try the chemist first.

If it's a problem, you're worried, or it's making you dizzy and you drive/operate machinery or anything that needs the alert responsibilty then see a doctor.
  • Options
    Okay so I've been diagnosed as being anaemic a few times before, mainly when i was 16/17ish. I was just given iron tablets to take and it righted itself (i think). I'm 23 now and I've been getting some of the symptoms i used to get when I was anaemic, like feeling tired a lot even when i've had enough sleep, bruising really easily, going dizzy...

do i need to go to a doctor to get diagnosed or can i just go to the chemist and get some iron tablets, or multivitamins that contain iron?

I've been in that same situation, was maybe a couple of years younger when I got diagnosed and it righted itself with me too.

If I ever get like that nowadays (pretty rare but I had symptoms a couple of years ago) I always just go and buy iron tablets, and it's sorted it.

I'm pretty irresponsible though, so I wouldn't go on my advice! A blood test sounds about right, just to make sure it isn't anything else.