Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have you ever eaten proper Indian food?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on from the Indian vs. Chinese, I was thinking about the Indian places I have been to and, to be honest, if I was judging Indian food on those, I'd rate it pretty poorly.

Also, I was talking to a friend who thought it wouldn't be a good idea to feed Indian food to a 1 year old, because its not healthy, and too spicy :eek2:

Do you guys stick to the runny, spicy 'curry' that you get from most takeaways/carryouts (if you're scottish :p).

Or do you eat the proper stuff like chana masala, biriyani, dhaal, chana roti, sag aloo, hagana chaat etc.

And I would say that Indian was some of the healthiest food in the world. But when I go to takeaways, it looks like diahorrea smothered in oil with some chilli added. A lot of dishes use spices without being spicy.

And chicken tikka masala is NOT AN INDIAN DISH. rant over :/

Comments

• Options
    Yes I ate it when I went to Italy - it was lush though very samey.

ooops i thought u said italian! hahaha
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I love my anglofied indian food :lol:

but I eat a different dish every time I go to an indian. I had a curry with cheese on top in a curry place last time I went! veeeery odd. cant remember the name. it was really strange, but it worked quite well, and it was nice :)

also, my flat mate's indian and cooks proper nice indian food, so I steal that from time to time, it's very nice
  • Options
    Real Indian food is the best, its actually quite healthy unlike the Indian food from a english takeaway.

:thumb:
  • Options
    We have a really nice Indian takeaway where we live. I usually have dry stuff like just chicken tikka and pilau rice. I've tasted some crap versions of Indian food but this one seems alright :heart:
  • Options
    one of my best mates is Asian - i was a bridesmaid for her and there was some delicous food going on
  • Options
    Yeah, we've got some close friends who are Indian and half of one of my exes family were from Goa. I love it :D

Dhaal and sag aloo, yum yum :)
  • Options
    I don't really like the sloppy type of curries. I usually have chicken tikka biryani.
    Gujrati food is nice, it's all veggie.
    Parathas are nice too, and daal...
    not keen on Indian sweets though, too sickly.
  • Options
    id be a disgrace to my country if i hadnt tried real indian food :p But i usually prefer a nice english korma.
  • Options
    Ooo, don't get me started on how much it bugs me when people assume curries are hot!

I go for biryani myself if I eat in indian restarants. I don't like really spicy (hot) food, but I love flavours from spices that come across in non-hot curries :yum:
  • Options
    I think my favourite is a dhal with mango yummeeee. And indian sweets are sweet, but I loooove gulab jamen, sooo yummy :yum:
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    I love takeaway Indian but I think it is unhealthy! I try and make it at home but its never as nice. Mind cos I'm vegetarian I guess it can't be that bad

We try and be adventurous with what we have to try out new things. I love sag paneer though, we always have that. I also love katchuri dhansak which is lentil balls deep fried in a spicy lentil sauce. We usually have a veggie side dish as well, aubergine or okra usually. I guess even if its not that healthy I probably get 3 of my 5 a day :D

I guess I haven't had 'real' indian food but I would love to! I am so craving indian takeaway now
  • Options
    real indian food is soo yummy i love it
  • Options
    I love Indian food, but some of it is too spicy. One time, I was at a friends house and I ended up with leftovers because I arrived rather late. So anyway, I was given some Indian and I complained that it was too spicy so a friend of mine decided that it was a good idea to pour Stella over my curry. :lol:
  • Options
    i am indian, so i guess the answer to this question would be .. haanji (yes in english!!)...
    but, i am a biig fan of anglo-cized indian food. i guess its because when my mum cooks indian, it's the stuff ive been having for many many years and i like something different when i eat out!
    then again, if i go for indian food with family (strange i know), we order stuff that i dont think they have on the menus. like my dad just says something and they make that!!