Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it better to know?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in a quandry. I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome in August last year, and since then, it's become much more of an 'issue' with regards to being able to be classed as being 'disabled' because of it.

However, it's come to my attention (ironically...) that I may have Attention Deficit Disorder Inattentive Type and that in order to know whether or not I do have it, would require a referal to a london clinic for psychometric testing.

My sister was diagnosed with ADHD (hyperactivity) as a child, and again as an adult (via london/tests) and my GP suspects my mum has it too but she has been refused a referal due to lack of funding.

In our family, I've been the 'quiet one'. I'm naturally anxious, shy and find it hard to not procrastinate with things I don't like doing, but will happily throw myself into something I love, even if it means making myself ill over it.
All these suggest ADD inattentive....

My mum thinks it wouldn't do me any good to be diagnosed as she thinks it'll end up 'ruling my life'. But, I'm not sure... she says she's managed for nearly 50 years not knowing... etc etc.

Oh I don't know what to do....

Comments

• Options
    Do you think a diagnosis would make a difference to you? In real terms?
  • Options
    I'm not sure. Perhaps my life would be easier, if I could get help for the things I struggle with? If it's possible.

I don't know. I don't know what sort of support/help is available for people with AD/HD.
  • Options
    The thing is, I see what your mum is saying.

On the one hand, yes, if you need help and a diagnosis can help you get it, that's great. But on the other hand, it you're already doing fine without, it can become so easy to use it as a crutch, and say 'oh, it's not my fault that i can't do xyz, it's because of my condition', and you can begin to use it as an excuse for stuff, and start believing your own hype, if you know what I mean.

I guess it depends on you, really.
  • Options
    I agree with Kaff but also just wanted to add my driving instructor pretty much self-diagnosed me with A.D.D. Sometimes I think it's a word people like to throw around.
  • Options
    If it's not going to make any difference to your life then I wouldn't bother. It's a label and gets used far too quickly as an excuse and then people make assumptions.

IF however it means you get specific help that you need and can't get elsewhere then it may be worth reconsidering, but I doubt that would be the case.
  • Options
    Would it actually make any difference at all if you knew whether you had it or not?
    It's a label and gets used far too quickly as an excuse and then people make assumptions.

:yes:
  • Options
    You're probably better off knowing - but sometimes it feels nicer to live life without knowing that you might have something wrong.

Although what probably will happen is in the long run things somewhere else catch up with you.