Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

R.I.P. Boris Yeltsin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6584481.stm

Well, the man who oversaw the collapse of the Soviet Union and sold out the country to the West creating the oligarch class has died.

Can't say I'm that upset, nor I would imagine are the people of Russia given the distain most of them seem to have for him.

Oh well. Rest in peace none the less.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    R.I.P. He had a few embarrassing and amusing moments that will never be forgotten but he did great things.

Yeltsin bravely helped bring down communism... He accepted the demise of the Soviet Union and let Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, the Baltics and the Stans go...avoiding civil war, strife and bloodshed. (I'm pretty sure Putin would not have acted with the same sense).
  • Options
    R.I.P. He had a few embarrassing and amusing moments that will never be forgotten
    Pinching his secretary's arse in front of the cameras or dancing on the stage of a gig spring to mind... :D

Wasn't a saint but there were certainly a lot worse Russian leaders than him... R.I.P.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Pinching his secretary's arse in front of the cameras or dancing on the stage of a gig spring to mind... :D

Indeed. I'm quite surprised he lived to 76 tbh.
  • Options
    I remember when he resigned a couple of hours before the new millenium came in. I absolutely shat myself thinking there had been a massive fuckup with Russia's nuclear weapons systems and the Y2K bug or something. I will raise a glass to a man who gave me at least a few minutes of excitement (albeit terror), even if he was politically reprehensible.
  • Options
    [Can't say I'm that upset, nor I would imagine are the people of Russia given the distain most of them seem to have for him.

At least they could vote him out, unlike his predeccessors
  • Options
    At least they could vote him out, unlike his predeccessors

People could vote for Blair and look at what an arsehole he is. What's your point?
  • Options
    People could vote for Blair and look at what an arsehole he is. What's your point?

If enough people think that we can get rid of him. Various soviet leaders were arseholes and it was a hell of a lot harder to get rid of them...
  • Options
    If enough people think that we can get rid of him. Various soviet leaders were arseholes and it was a hell of a lot harder to get rid of them...

Perhaps but the country did progress under the Soviet Union at a rate of improvement, at least until, well, some would say until Brezhnev went but I'd personally say until Uncle Joe snuffed it, at a rate that hadn't been matched since Peter the Great died in 1725.

Just because we can excercise the right to vote and remove the ruling party from power doesn't mean that the alternative will be any better.
  • Options

I think the point is that, unlike Lenin, Stalin and other "questionable" leaders, Yeltsin could be voted out.

RIP the old soak.
  • Options
    I think the point is that, unlike Lenin, Stalin and other "questionable" leaders, Yeltsin could be voted out.

RIP the old soak.

And I was saying that sometimes the alternatives are no better thus voting people out is a rather pointless exercise.
  • Options
    Perhaps but the country did progress under the Soviet Union at a rate of improvement, at least until, well, some would say until Brezhnev went but I'd personally say until Uncle Joe snuffed it, at a rate that hadn't been matched since Peter the Great died in 1725.

Are you measuring it by economic growth or people murdered?
    Just because we can excercise the right to vote and remove the ruling party from power doesn't mean that the alternative will be any better

If you don't like the alternatives stand yourself with a group of like minded people. Democracy seems to me to be the best chance of getting in power a government people can live under.

Given the choice between living under Blair or living under even as relatively benign a leader as Breshnev I know which one I'd choose...
  • Options
    Fuck that Flash, give me a choice of Yeltson or Putin and I know which one I would choose...
  • Options
    I remember one time when He did some singing haha.
  • Options
    Fuck that Flash, give me a choice of Yeltson or Putin and I know which one I would choose...

I'd pick Putin personally because I think he's totally awesome and completely turned the country around after Yeltsin fucked it all up and virtually became the laughing stock of the international community. Somewhere as large and that has gone through as much change and tumultous social upheaval as Russia needs someone strong at the helm to keep control. It's something in the mentality that I can't quite place but it's definitely different to back home. Russia prospers most when the leader of the country is strong and, dare I put it so liberally and tritely, dictatorial. Different systems work for different countries and history shows that when strong, restrictive regimes have been in control, the country has done better than when there hasn't been. Simple fact.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6584481.stm

Well, the man who oversaw the collapse of the Soviet Union and sold out the country to the West creating the oligarch class has died.

Can't say I'm that upset, nor I would imagine are the people of Russia given the distain most of them seem to have for him.

Oh well. Rest in peace none the less.

Yeah, that. Much the same attitude from me as when Sarron went. But I wish him the best in Hell, if it exists. Or Heaven, as God forgives all it seems, so everyone goes there!

He was a tit, but RIP fella.
  • Options
    This article I read a while ago when in Russia has it spot on about Yeltsin.

http://english.mn.ru/english/issue.php?2006-4-2
  • Options
    I'd pick Putin personally because I think he's totally awesome
    Whereas a number of adjetives come to mind when thinking about Vladimir Putin, ''totally awesome'' is certainly not one of them.
  • Options
    Russia prospers most when the leader of the country is strong and, dare I put it so liberally and tritely, dictatorial.

When you say prospers, do you mean prospers without proper democracy, no real freedom of speach....etc.

Oh, and that pesky war in Chechnya as well, but they deserved all they got didnt they.