Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Pill

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Cab you just come off the pill? or do you need to speak to a nurse or doctor first of all?

I am so sick of how it can make me feel, I need to be off it. I have had horrible thoughts lately, and don't feel like me. I know it is the pill, as I have been a bit off and on for the year I have been on it.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I should say that once you have finished that months packet and had your period you can just stop taking it.

I mean the doctor can't say no you cannot stop taking it, its your choice. From what i have heard your periods could become a little irregular afterwards though.
  • Options
    if its makin you ill or down then i would have thought ud be better off with out it you can just come off it though id finish ur pack first though or you could maybe talk to ur doctor about changin to a different brand because i use to get migraines and feelin sick when i was on microgynon(sp) but since i changed and went to cilest i was ok.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I like the idea of being on the pill for security as well as routine for my periods, but its gone a bit too far now.

I am on microgynon, and as I have previously said in other threads, they doctors and nurses keep trying to persuade me to stick on it after many pestering sessions from me asking to change. In fact at the moment their new one is to run two packs together and see how it goes.

Apart from the irregular periods, just stopping will not cause any lasting problems?
  • Options
    I see no reason why it should. Maybe once you have come off it you could go to the doctor and say look i have stopped taking this pill because of such and such and would like to carry on taking the pill, but a different type from now on. I don't have any other pills left now and would appreciate trying a new one. At least then they will either have the option of sending you away with nothing (which they shouldn't do) or give you an alternative.
  • Options
    Nope, no reason not to just stop it, plenty of people do.

If you run to the end of the packet (or pretty near) then you'll get a period as normal although it may take a bit of time after that for things to settle back down into a pattern.

Have you considered trying a family planning clinic instead of your GP, they are often better at coming up with alternative ones.
  • Options
    Put your foot down and tell them what you want. I had a lot of problems due to my pill and my dictor said that the hormone dosage was probably too high so I went on Loestron and my god I don't get any PMT and my periods are so light!
  • Options
    Don't stop mid pack though, you'll only mess yourself up. I did this about six weeks ago due to circumstances beyond my control, I've had so much irregular bleeding since it's really unpleasant (I've been bleeding for the last twenty or so days now).
  • Options
    I was on Mercilon, and in January I just stopped taking it. I waited untill my 7 day break and just didn't start back after that. My periods haven't been to bad, they seem to be sticking to being about a week or so late, so that isn't too bad, and the pain was worse for me just before I came off it. But, like others have said you can try a different brand, and if you come off this one first, you usually have to wait for the first day of your next period to start the new pill. There is also the patch that might be worth you trying, I have never tried this, and it works in the same way as the pill.
    Hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    The patch was ok but it was a bit of a pain in the arse - there were only certain places you could stick it and it was really annoying and i didn't really trust it.

But no, either come straight off the pill at the end of this pack or go to your local FPC or Brook clinic and stamp your foot and make them change your pill :D That's what i did - i started on Microgynon and i was a nasty bitch on it, then changed to Loestrin, then Cilest. In the end i gave up and got a coil :)