Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NHS eye voucher

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had an eye test in January and needed new lenses, my prescription had changed from -3.25 to -5 in about 18months. The optician said my eyes were healthy. Now, April, my vision is really blurry again, can I get them tested and my lenses replaced again now, because I have it in my head that you can only do that on the nhs every 12 months?

Comments

• Options
    I don't actually know the answer to this one. Have you asked the optometrist who did your latest check?
  • Options
    No, but I will make an appointment if it's free, and won't if it's not. I can just give them a ring in the morning, of course, just checking if anyone knew.
  • Options
    I don't think you'd be able to get another free test after 3 months. However, there are certain circumstances in which a free test is available. You'd really be better of calling and asking if the test would be free. Mention you are having problems since your last eye test, as if it could actually be detrimental to your eyes, they may waiver the fee.
  • Options
    if ur eyes are blurry chances are ur prescriptions changed again if it has changed u can get another test on the nhs for free but if it hasnt u have to pay. its a weird system coz u have to have them tested to find out but whenever mines been the same iv gone in and it has changed even if only slightly so its been free. good luck
    xxx
  • Options
    hollypoppy wrote: »
    if ur eyes are blurry chances are ur prescriptions changed again if it has changed u can get another test on the nhs for free but if it hasnt u have to pay. its a weird system coz u have to have them tested to find out but whenever mines been the same iv gone in and it has changed even if only slightly so its been free. good luck
    xxx

see, that's what I was scared of. But I'll ring 'em up and see what the deal is.
  • Options
    Definitely worth a shot, my brother and both went through phases of having eye tests very 3 months when our prescriptions were changing fast, I think the NHS thing is every 12 months or a shorter time period if deemed appropriate by the optician, so if your prescription is changing as fast as it is I would have thought you should be able to get one.
  • Options
    I used to have eye tests every 6 months, as my prescription has been on the decline since childhood. I'm now anually, as it's slowed down (not sure how much more it can deteriorate at -10!). But yeh, definitely phone and ask about it.
  • Options
    If you were called back in 12 months time then possibly not. Have a look for the recall period on your test (will be on the prescription slip they gave you) The only way you can get another free test is if you apply for a re-test. This is if you are unhappy with the prescription you were given or if you feel your eyesight has worstened. Best thing to do is call your optician and ask. I work for an optician and although its at their disgression, I should think they'd allow you to have a free one.