Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Toni and Guy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Although my hair was fucking sexy and in amazing nick after I dyed it, the chuffing thing is fading after JUST UNDER TWO WEEKS.

ARGH. It's going into a shameful peach at the bottom, but still a vibrant red at the top?! It's a bit gay.

Anyways, I'm going to get a new hairdo as well, and get it coloured properly. I reckon if I want it coloured 'properly' I'm looking at spending a hundred quid or more.

I'm a vain bitch and want a nice 'do at the end of the day so pretentious hair salons are coming into the mix since I'd quite like it done professionally and that, know?

The most I've ever spent on my hair was 90quid on a full head of blonde highlights, and that involved a trim, too.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyways, this is such a boring novel about the follicles on my head and I seriously congratulate you if you've bothered your arse to get this far, but the original point of this babbling thread was has anyone actually got their hair coloured professionally at Toni and Guys?

Reccomend it?

Comments

• Options
    I found the staff at Toni and Guy in Durham to be patronising, rude and not even that good.

You can definately find a decent salon with well trained and professional (friendly!) staff by asking around. See where your friends and colleagues get their hair done and ask for some recommendations. For the record, I get mine done by Caroline at Barry Dee's in Newcastle and it costs about £80 for the full colour / trim dealy.
  • Options
    I had my hair coloured at Toni and Guy years ago, and it was alright. I actually had full head lowlights rather than a one colour jobby, but it looked nice. I don't like it there personally, like BumbleBee I found the staff to be quite rude. They also don't listen when I ask them what I want-I end up with whatever they feel like doing, not what I want, and I'm quite firm with asking for what I want.
  • Options
    i have that problem with hair dye too, always seems to fade quite quickly.

it depends on the individual salon, like with any big branch. i went to the one near me and wasn't pleased with the results but then the one near you might be better. i would say it'd be wise to go by word of mouth with things like that.

are you sure getting it professionally dyed would work better enough to justify the cost?
  • Options
    i have that problem with hair dye too, always seems to fade quite quickly.

it depends on the individual salon, like with any big branch. i went to the one near me and wasn't pleased with the results but then the one near you might be better. i would say it'd be wise to go by word of mouth with things like that.

are you sure getting it professionally dyed would work better enough to justify the cost?

I don't even know, but I do know that if I do go for their poxy 'consultation' meeting thingies, they'll more than likely give the the 'chat' to say that getting it done professionally is better. But I do know a few folk who have had it coloured there and have no complaints. Argh I dunnooooooo. :(
  • Options
    Do you have your hair highlighted then? Because it makes your hair porous and so dye will fade really quickly.

Also I don't know much about Toni and Guy. The only experience I've had is with a friend who had some red streaks put in and it went orange within a couple of weeks. Find a really good salon and treat yourself with your redundancy money but not necessarily at Toni and Guy.
  • Options
    most people who i know whove been to toni and guy have come out with some weird experimental cut that they never even wanted in the first place and been severely pissed off.
  • Options
    A friend of mine did hair modelling for them, he loved it, and found the staff really nice. He also got a truckload of free hair products...which I've nicked most of, but anyway...:D
  • Options
    Red dye fades really quickly anyway so it'll still fade if you pay £100 for it to be done professionally or do a DIY jobby.

Anyway, I used to go to T&G on St Vincent Street but wouldnt really recommend it, they were quite rude and it was kinda like get you in and out as fast as possible. I found they didnt really listen to what you wanted either and suggested other stuff that was nothing like you originally described! Dont know about any other branches though.

Salon 32 on West George Street is really good though and not as expensive for the same job.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Glittery wrote: »
    Red dye fades really quickly anyway so it'll still fade if you pay £100 for it to be done professionally or do a DIY jobby.

:yes: that's what I was going to say. I had a convo with my hairdresser the other day about red hair dye and she said exactly that.

ETA: I've been to Toni & Guy before and it was good, but as Lipsy says, there are others that are better.
  • Options
    I don't have a fucking clue about Tony and Guy. All I know is that red hair do looks hot on you so keep it up. :thumb:
  • Options
    I know red dye will probably fade and I'd be best re-doing it myself but the first time around was okay. I did most of it and my Mam did the back bits, but there's a few blondey bits she's missed at the back underneath.

So I want to get the colour done properly, and get some information about the upkeep I suppose.

But I've been to Essensuals in town and they're a spawn of Toni and Guy? They cut my hair last time and it was an amazing cut, exactly what I wanted etc. Dunno about colouring, mind.

I reckon I will go to Rainbow Rooms, lots of folk I know've went to there, and I fancy a nice shiatsu massage and headcleansing thingy they chuck in. Plus I get a free consulatation. ;)
  • Options
    Wow rainbow rooms sounds good!
  • Options
    Don't bother with Toni & Guy, the name might be good but the stylists aren't much above average in the ones I've been to. I've heard the same from friends/family too. This Rainbow Rooms place sounds much better!
  • Options
    most people who i know whove been to toni and guy have come out with some weird experimental cut that they never even wanted in the first place and been severely pissed off.
    My experience exactly. They don't trust you to know your own hair - one once made the fatal mistake of cutting my hair as though it's straight although I told him it's a frizzball from hell :rolleyes:

And this was in the days before straighteners!

I wouldn't trust them, to be honest, I've always found local salons to be much better than chains.
  • Options
    The Rainbow Room's shiatsus are pretty amazing :heart:
  • Options
    When i was a (fake) redhead for a couple of years, i found that one of the things that made a big difference was using shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair. I know it does sound a lot like a marketing gimmick, but it meant that it didn't fade anything like as much as usual.

I'd second (fifth?!) the thing about Toni and Guy being not that great, from friends' experiences. I'd just find a good local place, it's considerably cheaper as well - i pay £60 for my cut and a full head of highlights now!
  • Options
  • Options
    Rainbow Rooms it is! I'm going to get it cut on Wednesday, and will colour it again myself on the Thursday.

I think cause it was highlighted at the bottom as my hair's grown and that, it's made it go more pinky at the bottom but more vibrant at the top, so if I get it cut into a wee bob it'll look just the ticket!

Apparently as well Herbal Essences wasn't the best choice to use for dyeing my hair red even though it took the colour well, it just didn't last as long.

Shall post smexy pix when it's all done so you can coo over me. :p