Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have you ever refused to pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have you ever been to a restaurant and been so disgusted that you refused to pay?

On Saturday night a friend and I ate at a hotel restaurant in London. My friend is a vegetarian and there was no choice, so she had to have risotto with cheese as her main. When it was brought out it looked vile, like porridge/baby food. The only attempt at making it look nice was a cross of asparagus (which was also soggy).

She only managed to eat one spoonful. I tried a bit and it was gross. I said she should send it back but she was too embarrassed/and besides it was a complimentary meal. So it's not as though we were actually paying in any case. But even so....

This was not a cheap meal (had we been paying!) It was about £30 for three courses.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I have and would again. And I think it's ridiculous that a hotel in London would have no veggie choices. I quite often choose a veggie option over one containing meat and whenever I eat out there are usually at least 2 or 3 different choices for vegetarians.

What was your meal like Katchika?

I had snapper, on a bed of some orange stuff (think it was mashed root veg?) and a lemony sauce. It was ok, not great, not bad. I would have been disappointed if I had paid because it was all the same texture, there was nothing crunchy. I usually love snapper but it was just okay.

The pudding choice was lame too, ice cream, fruit salad, cheese and biscuits or tiramisu. Not exactly pushing the boat in terms of originality!
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm too shy/embarrased to kick up a fuss. Can't think of the top of my head of too many bad meals out I've had to be honest.

Slightly different, but my Mum says my Dad stomed out of a fast food place in Londion the other week cause the poor Chinese girl on the counter didn't recognise a Scottish 10 quid note.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't think there's any excuse for poor food at that price level, even in London. I'd have complained TBH. I'd at least expect a free bottle of wine to wash down the food with.

:yes: Me too, what hotel was it?
  • Options
    I refused to pay for a meal in China Town. Appalling service, rude waiters, cold food, made to so it near a toilet door when there were better tables available etc etc ..... :mad:
  • Options
    I've never refused to pay, but have complained a few times and got the course refunded, free desserts, complimentary drinks or something similar.
  • Options
    Refused to pay for the service charge when the service we had was awful.
  • Options
    I went out with a guy whose favourite hobby was eating out and then finding reasons to refuse to pay, fucking irratating as hell. When the service or food is genuinely substandard, I think you should complain.
  • Options
    no but once we waited for ages for our food and then the orders were muddled up. i said something and they offered us vouchers. my response was 'well you needn't think i'm coming back'. :p
  • Options
    I haven't refused to pay for something, but I have no quarms complaining if my food isn't satisfactory. There's no way I'll pay for something that's not worth it. It's a tad odd really - I'm a really shy person and I hate confrontation, but I'll never hold back when I have to complain in a restaurant. My family and friends always give me the job. :razz:
  • Options
    I quite regularly complain about food, i might not expect not to pay but i do always expect something in return. I had a meal out last weekend and we ended up having it free as we complained as the mussels we had were still gritty and weren't properly de-bearded. I had some food out this weekend as well, and my steak smelt like wee :yuk: but i was too tired to be arsed to complain so we paid - but i think i'm going to write to them and complain because it was terrible.
  • Options
    my steak smelt like wee :yuk:
    I hope you didnt eat it? Lets take a wild guess at what the marinade probably was...
  • Options
    If things arent' the way the man wants, he'll make sure the managers know and he won't stop until at least that part is free. I always get so embaressed. His most proud stories are the ones where he gets big meals comped. His friend learned from him and they compare stories sometimes :no: His mom is the same way too and his dad gets as embaressed as I do. Its quite a funny site when the 4 of us are out.
  • Options
    It was the Mayfair Flemings Hotel.

Rach, £30 not expensive for a meal? The wine was £22 too, plus service charge I presume. What sort of places do you eat out at?!
    :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I take it you mean £30 each? That is pretty pricey imo.
  • Options
    I think £30 for 3 courses is average.