Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How often?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I remember reading this article about how we supposedly eat the same foods for dinner all the time and by the time we die, we'll have eaten Spag Bol (for example) over 3000 times.

Is this the case with you? Do you eat the same foods on a weekly basis?

I remember when I was wee we always had mince & potatoes on Tuesdays and fish on Thursdays. Now though I suppose I am guilty of eating the same things all the time, that's mainly due to having a partner who hates most foods and trying to be creative with new things is pretty pointless when it's just for myself.

Comments

• Options
    I know someone who eats Fish & Chips every Wednesday and Sunday without fail. Its like a religion.

She is a bit strange though :D
  • Options
    Well, always have the same food on Sundays. In uni I end up eating the same things but my ma and da are good cooks so it's not the same thing week in week out at home.
  • Options
    mmm i've just had a huge plate of spag bol....i tend to eat the same stuff most weeks, just enough variation so i don't get bored it seems. i usually cook about 4 days worth in one go as i'm far too lazy to slave in the kitchen everyday after work, so it's spag bol for the next few days...
  • Options
    Some meals I have more than others. I tend to make batches of stuff, then freeze them so I have another 3 to eat relatively soon after. In all honesty, I have stuff with veggies, either meat or fish really often, so not too creative really.
  • Options
    Well, on a Saturday I have meat of some sort with potato of some sort and vegetables, on a Sunday I have pizza and sometime during the week, I have a home made meal with minced meat. (sheperd's pie or pasta & mince normally)
  • Options
    I usually eat the same things each week.
  • Options
    apart from tinned tomatoes and salad cream, I don't eat the same things but I do go through phases of liking certain meals.
  • Options
    The article you read sounds very daft if this is what they are actually stating. Considering we are told to each a certain amount of Fruit per day/week, vegetables also so following that line of thought then obviously in our lifetime we are going to have eaten the same foods thousands of times.

Now do you see why reports are so full of crap at times :P

Of course there are people who don't/won't eat fruit & veg but i'm certainly sure they make up for that by eating their way through something entirely different but eating a whole lot of it nonetheless.

I eat Chicken; Pasta; Home made chips, Sausage; Bread & Veg on a regular basis.
  • Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    The article you read sounds very daft if this is what they are actually stating. Considering we are told to each a certain amount of Fruit per day/week, vegetables also so following that line of thought then obviously in our lifetime we are going to have eaten the same foods thousands of times.

Now do you see why reports are so full of crap at times :P
    I've been at the wine, I'm probably not as accurate as I should be :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I know someone who eats Fish & Chips every Wednesday and Sunday without fail. Its like a religion.

Some people are a bit strange though :D

Bloody hell, I saw the name of this thread and knew immediately that you'd pop up with something about my fish and chips :p

So, in an effort to set the record straight...

I do eat a lot of the same stuff throughout the week. It all comes from hating cooking, especially since I just cook for myself. Because I dislike it so much, I tend to cook things that take the minimal amount of time/effort, which is where the whole something and chips thing comes into it. And I tend to have fish and chips (oven, not from a chippy!) on days where I really can't be arsed, as I can put them in at the same time and not even have to check on them before they're finished :) I don't feel bad about what I eat, as I love fruit, so I make sure I get a lot of that throughout the week, and I'm slim and healthy, so not too worried about my diet just yet! :p
  • Options
    Speciality is lamb with mushrooms in red wine and a baked tattie. I'll have that a couple of times a week. Most of the rest of the time it's takeaway cause I can't be arsed.

I'm actually going to go onto Tesco.com tomorrow and order some proper food and ingredients for cooking with. Maybe a Jamie Oliver book too.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    Do you eat the same foods on a weekly basis?
    :no: ... i'd get so bored if i did
  • Options
    mmm i've just had a huge plate of spag bol....i tend to eat the same stuff most weeks, just enough variation so i don't get bored it seems. i usually cook about 4 days worth in one go as i'm far too lazy to slave in the kitchen everyday after work, so it's spag bol for the next few days...

You could seperate the bologneise into portion sizes then put them in freezer bags and freeze until needed rather than having the same dish 4 days in a row because you just refrigerated it.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

She is a bit strange though :D

:lol:

I eat alot of Pizza and Ham n Cheese Toasties.
  • Options
    I try to make at least one dish I haven't tried before, and one that I havent eaten in the last couple of months. And I do vary the recipes. And go into the grocers, and choose the weirdest looking vegetables. Yesterday was casava, which looks like a log or a big poo. And I also made crepe with asparagus and a red pepper sauce :D
  • Options
    I eat pasta and sandwiches ALOT because I'm a student and its cheap!! When I have more money my diet will vary much more as I'll have more money to buy some nicer ingredients :)
  • Options
    I tend to have about 2 weeks worth of meals I do on a regular basis.

When I was little my mum always did the same thing each day of the week. Mondays was home made steak and kidney pie, tuesdays either steak and onions or liver and onions (if we were lucky she'd get pasties from a bakers though whilst she was out shopping) Wed was either cottage pie/hot pot. Can't remember thurs. Fri was fish, Sat was scampi, Sunday was a roast of some kind at lunch and then either meat and potato pies made from the left over hot pot earlier in the week, boiled eggs or tinned salmon sandwiches. I hated food as a kid. :lol: