Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why are break ups so hard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I broke up with my b/f last wknd, cos he was treating me like shit for ages and i finally decided i'd had enough, the first few days were ok and as we live together we where both making an effort to be civil and ok with each other, we are still being ok with each other but over the past few days its just been making me really upset and i find myself crying myself to sleep, i dont want to get back with him but i do miss the small things like hugs etc

how can i get over it and move on with my life without him.

Comments

• Options
    your bf was a knob - you haven't lost anything, but it will take a while to realise it. It gets easier with time, can you move out? Or at least stay somewhere for the time being?
  • Options
    To be honest I think living with your ex right now is probably the worst thing you could do as this is bound to make the break up so much more difficult, its good that you can both be amicable, but after the way he treated you I really can't understand how you can bear to be under the same roof as him.

I think you need to take up a new hobby or something that will get you out and meeting some new people and doing some new things, I think doing new things will give you a sense of independance and give you some confidence back that you might have lost from being in a relationship.

The other thing that you should remember is that when relationships come to an end it is quite normal to have a period of grievance. People naturally grieve to help them deal with this sort of thing, so tears at night when thoughts of your breakup are spinning round your head are just part of moving on. Give yourself some time, if you can, get some space away from this guy, and definately fill your time with new and exciting things for your new start!
  • Options
    breakin guup is hard, even harder when you can't get any realtionship-greiving space by living together.

*hugs*
  • Options
    cari wrote: »

with time you will move on and get over it.
    its a clichee, but true none-the-less.
  • Options
    cari wrote: »
    I broke up with my b/f last wknd, cos he was treating me like shit for ages and i finally decided i'd had enough, the first few days were ok and as we live together we where both making an effort to be civil and ok with each other, we are still being ok with each other but over the past few days its just been making me really upset and i find myself crying myself to sleep, i dont want to get back with him but i do miss the small things like hugs etc

Well, break-ups are so hard, because it is a break-out of your ordinary lifestyle, an aberration of what you are used to, to have someone there, to come home to, to love and be loved and suddenly it's gone and it feels unfamiliar in a bad sense, left alone, as if there is noone left.

The best and quickest and most painless way is - even if it's not something you want to do - get space between each other. cut contact and be busy. meet friends, knot up old loose contacts, don't be alone, because this is the best way to wallow in old good memories (because only the good memories remain) and those hurt. be in company, go out and you'll see: sooner as expected (in my experience pretty sudden, from one week/day to another), you stop bothering.

Most important thing is, that you keep in mind that your ex is good riddance and that you keep in mind the reasons why he was an asshole and why you broke up and that you SHOULDN'T and shouldn't WANT to go back to him.

chin up...