Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First female commentator on MOTD

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Yep, Jacqui Oatley is to commentate on the Fulham vs Blackburn game on Saturday. Fair play to her, there are plenty of male commentators around at the moment that get on my tits. Old timer John Motson in particular. I will make to the effort to make an old school video cassette recording on Saturday to see how she gets on.

Full story here

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/04/19/move_over_motty.html
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    "He's offside?! Offside?! Can you explain that one?"

*10 minutes later*

"So he can't run until he's...Oh fuck it I'm away to buy some shoes."

I'll only endorse this idea if they do the same as with sign language on TV. Stick a hot chick commentating with her tits out at the bottom right of the screen, and I'm all for it.
  • Options
    Tbh, you don't tend to get female commentators/narrators for many things, which is funny because in normal life, you can't shut them up.....:yeees: Seriously though, good luck to her. John Motson is a cock.
  • Options
    Tbh, you don't tend to get female commentators/narrators for many things, which is funny because in normal life, you can't shut them up.....:yeees: Seriously though, good luck to her. John Motson is a cock.

She been reporting on Five Live for a few years. Will be interesting to see how she gets on.
  • Options
    she'd have to be truly awful to be worse than what we already have so it's worth a go.

it will be rather strange though. i'll definitely have to tune in.
  • Options
    She been reporting on Five Live for a few years. Will be interesting to see how she gets on.

Oh her. Yeah, she's alright. I prefer Alan Green though.
  • Options
    Oh her. Yeah, she's alright. I prefer Alan Green though.

Alan Green is a legend!

I love it when he starts laying into Drogba and Chelsea for diving. It's comedy gold when that man's on the mike.
  • Options
    Can't be much worse than Motson, i'll give her a chance before saying if it's a good idea or not.

They had an article in the paper about it and some of responses were quite strongly against it, which I don't understand. If she was useless then yes fair enough but give her a chance first. I hope this isn't some token gesture by the BBC and she actually got the job because shes more than able to do it.
  • Options
    Who cares. I tune in to wtach the game no listen to the witterings of some no-mark commentator. I can see what is happening thanks...

Besides they usuall get it wrong and I wonder if I am watching the same game.
  • Options
    Is she fit? Gotta be an improvement on looking at Gary Lineker's face.
  • Options
    as long as she's been hired on merit and not for a gimmick, then i don't see why anyone would have a problem.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    as long as she's been hired on merit and not for a gimmick, then i don't see why anyone would have a problem.

Agreed. Is it the same woman who commentated for Five Live last month do we know?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Agreed. Is it the same woman who commentated for Five Live last month do we know?

Yes.

Jaqui Oatley

Aladdin - is she fit? You tell me...

jacqui_oatley.jpg
  • Options
    I would.

Don't see an issue at all, but no woman should have to sit in a cramped commentary gantry with Mark Lawrenson AKA the creepiest man in the world.
  • Options
    Yes.

Jaqui Oatley

Aladdin - is she fit? You tell me...

jacqui_oatley.jpg
    :yes:

Definitely an improvement on old Gary.
  • Options
    This will be funny.
  • Options
    it sounded odd to me.
    pundits, yeah ok. but commentating? hmmm..not sure.

makes a nice change from motty and the downright fucking awful itv ones though.
  • Options
    better than that one a few years ago who forgot her words during the goals round up, went oh shit, and then sat for the rest of the tape in silence :lol:
  • Options
    i heard a bit of it on the news round up on sunday morning.

sounded like a little excited boy on his first day commentating on school radio.
  • Options
    better than that one a few years ago who forgot her words during the goals round up, went oh shit, and then sat for the rest of the tape in silence :lol:

Excellent, someone else who remembers that. It was possibly one of the funniest moments of TV I've ever seen.