Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a wierd Q - he's new to relationships+im not....and its causing a clash

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok,so i :heart: my new fella, but (to get straight to the point) he's never had a long term relationship b4, and ive always had ones that last at least 2 years. this would be ok, apart from the fact that he doesnt seem to know how to act around women sometimes. like, he'll say something that's rly insensitive/insulting and not know why im angry/hurt/whatever! its like im having to hold his hand and show him how real relationships work - which i dont want to have to do, but if i just leave him to it he ends up doing something to anger/upset me!
this makes things sound really bad, but every other aspect is brilliant!
any advice on how i can make him realise what he says/does sometimes is wrong, and that he could just not do it in the 1st place (he always realises and apologises once im really upset, but it'd be nice if i wasnt feeling like this so often)
help? advice? and please dont judge us, because other than this we're very happy!
L+C

Comments

• Options
    ok,so i :heart: my new fella, but (to get straight to the point) he's never had a long term relationship b4, and ive always had ones that last at least 2 years. this would be ok, apart from the fact that he doesnt seem to know how to act around women sometimes. like, he'll say something that's rly insensitive/insulting and not know why im angry/hurt/whatever! its like im having to hold his hand and show him how real relationships work - which i dont want to have to do, but if i just leave him to it he ends up doing something to anger/upset me!
    this makes things sound really bad, but every other aspect is brilliant!
    any advice on how i can make him realise what he says/does sometimes is wrong, and that he could just not do it in the 1st place (he always realises and apologises once im really upset, but it'd be nice if i wasnt feeling like this so often)
    help? advice? and please dont judge us, because other than this we're very happy!
    L+C

That just sounds more like he isn't quite comfortable around women, and he isn't used to how fickle you lot can be ;) than actually being inexperienced in long term relationships. If everything else is fine, and it's just the odd thing he says, I don't think inexperience in relationships has anything to do with it.

Have you TOLD him which things he says that get to you, or do you just get all upset and he has to figure it out for himself?
  • Options
    Its like a virgin of relationships. You have to show him the ropes doll... guys can be a little bit slow :p, so you have to show him what you like in a relationship, just like you'd show him how you like it when you are having sex.
  • Options
    g_angel: yeah,i do tell him. trust me, i know women are fickle. sometimes i really take things to heart and i think its bcos of my experience i know how i like to be treated. i understand that its unfair to push this onto him though. i think you could be right....he is inexperienced around women. i have told him what he says, but then he'll do it again and il get upset and angry because it feels like he doesnt listen, then we'll fall out+he'll apologise. i just think it would be easier if he didnt say/do these things in the first place.

talia - i know ive got to show him what i like,etc, but i dont want to. sounds odd, but id love it if he knew what was good or bad without me having to explain it to him - im not his mum!!

And just so everyone knows....i know im far from perfect myself, im just focusing on this particular issue! im not saying its all him, i do become sensitive sometimes!
  • Options
    g_angel: yeah,i do tell him. trust me, i know women are fickle. sometimes i really take things to heart and i think its bcos of my experience i know how i like to be treated. i understand that its unfair to push this onto him though. i think you could be right....he is inexperienced around women. i have told him what he says, but then he'll do it again and il get upset and angry because it feels like he doesnt listen, then we'll fall out+he'll apologise. i just think it would be easier if he didnt say/do these things in the first place.

talia - i know ive got to show him what i like,etc, but i dont want to. sounds odd, but id love it if he knew what was good or bad without me having to explain it to him - im not his mum!!

And just so everyone knows....i know im far from perfect myself, im just focusing on this particular issue! im not saying its all him, i do become sensitive sometimes!

I feel the same- my ex was very sensitive to my needs, perhaps a little too forgiving of my bad moods etc. My current boyfriend isn't so great at understanding the way i might feel when certain things are done or said. I know he was single for a while before we got together which probably contributes to it. He's very laid back and I can be very sensitive- so we do clash occasionally. And I'm REALLY bad at placing blame on him, when half of it is him being too complacent and the other half is me being too stressy.

I think at the end of it, being in a relationship is all about give and take, and learning to live with the other person's flaws as much as their qualities. So long as you keep talking to eachother and are essentially happy, you're on the right track :)
  • Options
    cheers dobbin, nice to know im not the only one who has felt this. i feel so bad for feeing it! i shouldnt compare this relationships to my past ones, but i kinda end up doing so anyway :( i am too sensitive, but i wish he'd know this+kinda consider it?
    im hoping we can discuss it tonite!
  • Options
    cheers dobbin, nice to know im not the only one who has felt this. i feel so bad for feeing it! i shouldnt compare this relationships to my past ones, but i kinda end up doing so anyway :( i am too sensitive, but i wish he'd know this+kinda consider it?
    im hoping we can discuss it tonite!

To be fair- in life we learn from all our experiences. It teaches us about human nature and how to react to different situations. Therefore, from your previous relationships you will have learnt certain things, and developed your own 'criteria' if you like of how you expact a relationship to be. That's only human. The only problem is that not every relationship is the same, so applying the same expectations will inevitably not work out. The trick is to cast previous experiences aside really, and recognise that no two people are the same, so no two relationships will be the same either. Does that make any sense?
  • Options
    yes dobbin, it really does make sense! ive just got to get this silly feeling out of my head. its almost like when im upset/angry i just think "god, this is shit, XXXXXXX would never had said/done that" which is a horrible thing to say. and besides, no ones perfect, and my last 2 boyfriends have cheated on me, so they definately werent perfect!
  • Options
    Well then! Have a chat to him, if you feel you have differences that will cause problems then talk them over. It's natural to feel the way you're feeling- but it doesn't mean it's right, and as you said, it certainly isn't fair. You'll be fine, and if this fella is as nice as you say he is, I'm sure you two will be very happy together :)
  • Options
    thank you dobbin, you've really made me see things abit more clearly! im gonna talk to him, hopefully tonite, and explain things to him+hopefully we'll reach a comprimise!
    anyone else got any other pearls of wisdom??
  • Options
    thank you dobbin, you've really made me see things abit more clearly! im gonna talk to him, hopefully tonite, and explain things to him+hopefully we'll reach a comprimise!
    anyone else got any other pearls of wisdom??

Yes.

Don't be afraid to apologise yourself as it's (at least) 50% you causing the issues, with the whole 'comparing the past' thing.

:)
  • Options
    and ive always had ones that last at least 2 years.

Lol, Did it say that on the tin ' will not expire for at least two years ' ? :lol:

The fact he hasn't had a relationship before has nothing to do with why he isulted you/whoever.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    That just sounds more like he isn't quite comfortable around women, and he isn't used to how fickle you lot can be ;) than actually being inexperienced in long term relationships. If everything else is fine, and it's just the odd thing he says, I don't think inexperience in relationships has anything to do with it.

Have you TOLD him which things he says that get to you, or do you just get all upset and he has to figure it out for himself?

wouldn't say so. Sometimes I am insensitive too, just because I am sometimes crude and brassy (used to, when around the boys), and girl sometimes don't quite get the humor behind it, or just don't like it.

I am not doing to provoke however.

well, L+C, I think there is no other way than the good ol' "try and error"-system. I.e. he makes something 'wrong' and you say that it's not ok (if you do not want to hold lectures with diagrams and detention if he's whispering with his neighbour).
    I think he's going to pick up the basics fairly quick.