Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trimble to join the Tories

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6561871.stm

Whether you support the Tories or not this is excellent news. Northern Ireland has always been bedeviled by the border and the politicians are defined by it. For a senior politician to move to a UK wide party is brilliant for the normalisation of politics....

Comments

• Options
    Mmm... one could also say the man is finished in NI and is trying to salvage his political career.

As NI politicians go however he was more decent and moderate than most of them.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6561871.stm

Whether you support the Tories or not this is excellent news. Northern Ireland has always been bedeviled by the border and the politicians are defined by it. For a senior politician to move to a UK wide party is brilliant for the normalisation of politics....

I'd agree with this. NI could be seen as "outside the fold" because of it's unique political situation but I don't think Trimble joining the Tories will make much difference, because I don't see the big players, Paisley and Adams following suit.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. NI could be seen as "outside the fold" because of it's unique political situation but I don't think Trimble joining the Tories will make much difference, because I don't see the big players, Paisley and Adams following suit.

But Paisley and Adams are in Govt together. And the big issue at the moment seems to be water rate.

Perhaps it my age and being brought up during some of the worst of the 'troubles' but I see stuff like this as really positive.
  • Options
    I think it's good news but I don't think it means he's severing his links to Unionism at the same time. Perhaps he's seeking a political alliance with the Tories and the UUP when they get to power next?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Mmm... one could also say the man is finished in NI and is trying to salvage his political career.

As NI politicians go however he was more decent and moderate than most of them.

You 'could' say that Aladdin but that would seem cynical - and I know you are not. ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I think it's good news but I don't think it means he's severing his links to Unionism at the same time.

Considering it's the Conservative and Unionist Party...