Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How To Get Some Respect At Home?

Ugh.

I just feel so pissed and frustrated.

My Dad and my sis always view me as the runt because Im in my studies and can't get a job for that reason, my sister talks down to me alot and always makes stupid remarks like "oh did you get dad a present because you never get him anything" even though she knows full well Im flat broke most of the time.

I hate taking money off my dad as well, I mean Im almost 20 and should really find a way to find a job. Im just sick of being viewed as the freeloader and start doing things myself.

what can I do to get a bit of respect?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Once you start working, you'll earn your own money and you'll be able to buy things like presents and stuff. Then you'll be self-sufficient and not need to sponge off other people (if that's even what you're doing)

Two fingers to your sister are what's needed here.

EDIT: Not in a sexual way obviously, unless you're from Cornwall in which case that sort of business will be second nature anyway. Ho ho.
  • Options
    would you call sponging £20 a week pocket money?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Once you start working, you'll earn your own money and you'll be able to buy things like presents and stuff. Then you'll be self-sufficient and not need to sponge off other people (if that's even what you're doing)

Two fingers to your sister are what's needed here.

:yes:

Just ignore it mate.
  • Options
    If your only option is to take money from your dad, then do it for the time being but put every effort into finding a job once your exams are over. Might sound stupid (and unrelated) but doing a fair share of the household chores can keep you in your dads good books.

As for your sister, just explain to her that you are broke etc and when she starts acting stupid either ignore it or make some stupid throw away comment.
  • Options

20 notes a week? Fuck me, back in the day I used to get 2 pound a week and be bloody thankful for it. /hovis music

But no, if they're offering you that then I'd bit their bloody hand off. Can hardly call you a sponger for that.
  • Options

If its happily being offered then no its not.
  • Options
    :lol: Bri your a legend.

I just don't like taking money for nothing, I applied for the EMA but they said I was 2 months too old. At least that way I can earn money for studying.

I just FEEL like im sponging, I do do things around the house like tidy my room, the washing up, helping with the laundry but I don't feel thats enough.
  • Options
    :lol: Bri your a legend.

I just don't like taking money for nothing, I applied for the EMA but they said I was 2 months too old. At least that way I can earn money for studying.

I just FEEL like im sponging, I do do things around the house like tidy my room, the washing up, helping with the laundry but I don't feel thats enough.

I've felt like that when I lived at home. Parents always nag to try and make you do a bit more, mine always did. So long as you're doing your bit then you shouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I've felt like that when I lived at home. Parents always nag to try and make you do a bit more, mine always did. So long as you're doing your bit then you shouldn't worry too much.

:yes: I second that.
  • Options
    I do what I can, I would like to put money in the house though or at least get enough money together to buy something I want without asking my dad for it for doing nothing. thats an awful feeling.

My sis borrows loads from my dad and she always says "he always gets it back". She borrowed £500 and I put the suggestion forward that she tries and lives out of her own pocket instead of doing that AND borrowing money off my dad. She was pissed at me for a week and told all her friends what A cunt I am.

Anyway im gonna stop moaning about my sister now.

thanks pill'ed, Marie and Bri, really needed this vent. :)
  • Options
    I do what I can, I would like to put money in the house though or at least get enough money together to buy something I want without asking my dad for it for doing nothing. thats an awful feeling.

Its not nice but it has to be done sometimes. Once you can afford to pay something into the house etc then offer to do it.
    My sis borrows loads from my dad and she always says "he always gets it back". She borrowed £500 and I put the suggestion forward that she tries and lives out of her own pocket instead of doing that AND borrowing money off my dad. She was pissed at me for a week and told all her friends what A cunt I am.

My parents never lend me or my brother money. We both have jobs and have to live off our salaries. You made a fair point about her though, being called a cunt for doing it is harsh.
  • Options
    Parents should always have a degree of respect for their children no matter what they choose to do in life. Of course there are exceptions but not having respect for their son because he wants to focus on his studies, then that's a bit too harsh.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Parents should always have a degree of respect for their children no matter what they choose to do in life.

:yes: totally agree with that. but unfortunately thats not always the case.
    £20/wk - if you thought it was a lot, you could always take less.