Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family Planning Clinic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have made a New Patient Appointment at a Family Planning Clinic for Friday, as I want to go on the pill. Does anyone know what will happen at this appointment? What sorts of questions will they ask? Thanks for any advice!

Claire.

Comments

• Options
    hey, they just ask about your health and your family's health

e.g has anyone had a blood clot in your family? do you smoke? has anone in your family got diabetes?

things like that

also they are likely to weigh you or/and check your blood pressure

hope this helps x
  • Options
    They will weigh you and measure your bloodpressure. They will also want to know when your last period was to make sure you are not currently pregnant, as well as a few details of your sexual history. I think they ask if you're currently sleeping with someone, if you've ever been pregnant and what the result of that pregnancy was, if you have any allergies and if you've been hospitalised for anything/ had any operations. They will want to know what contraception you are currently using and whether you are taking any medicines or herbal stuff at the moment. They will advise you on condoms and give you a little white bag of the them, so take a hangbag to put them in. Then they'll go over the different pills there are and why they are starting you on the one they are, when you have to take it, when it isn't effective and answer any questions you might have.

In my experience, going to the family planning is not embarrassing or awkward and the people are nice, friendly and put you at ease.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    They will weigh you and measure your bloodpressure. They will also want to know when your last period was to make sure you are not currently pregnant, as well as a few details of your sexual history. I think they ask if you're currently sleeping with someone, if you've ever been pregnant and what the result of that pregnancy was, if you have any allergies and if you've been hospitalised for anything/ had any operations.

None of that happened to me at my doctors. He asked if i smoked i said no,he said that it;s not a good idea too while on the pill, so i said that was fine because i don't and then he took my blood pressure and told me if not in a stable relationship it is best to still use condoms because of std's and stuff.
    So less embaressing than i thought, this was 4 years ago, and now i only have to see him once a year for the anula blood pressure check and he put the pill on repeat prescription so i just ring the che,ist every 3 months :thumb:
  • Options
    claire_s wrote: »
    I What sorts of questions will they ask?

history. and what you want.