Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know how to stop anxiety taking over my body so much, I mean, I get so many symptoms it's stupid.
If you know, tell me please!
Do you take medication?
Do you have some breathing techniques?
anything!!

Comments

• Options
    thanks.
    So you're doing your GCSE's? It was around that time that I started to be more aware of my anxiety, as it got worse, and I developed depression.
    I hope you are getting help, because it seemed that with me, nobody took me seriously because of my age, and thought I was attention seeking, which isn't true. Even now, I am 18 nearly 19, I can feel quite alone and isolated because of it. :(
    It's sounds as though your maths tutor understands though, which is good. :thumb:
  • Options
    i get anxiety attacks when im in a large group of people or going out...i start sweating and then get paranoid its so annoying!
  • Options
    they are horrible but it's all mind over matter. Took me a while but I dont have any now. I just used to say to my self "hey, its only a panic attack, there is nothing wrong with me and nothing bad will happen" I'll also try an concentrate on something else to take my mind of it.
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to stop anxiety taking over my body so much, I mean, I get so many symptoms it's stupid.
    QUOTE]

Have you been to see your GP? if they think you are suffering from depression or an anxiety disorder, they may prescribe something, refer you for talking therapy, or possibly both.
    Been to the doctors time and time again through eating disorders and stress (to the point I stopped eating and was throwing up blood) but it's certainly not taken seriously and that at this age its not possible to know what stress is depression is very isolating

Sounds horrid hon, I know where you are coming from. Suffered from depression all through my teenage years (as well as suffering from an eating disorder), but found that professionals were all to quick to put my feelings down to plain old teenage angst, though I knew it was something more than that.
    Cutting/starving/binging/purging are all forms of self-harm, and though they can help in the short term, really aren't the best way of dealing with stress/depression. Have you told your GP about the cutting? BTW, don't think I'm judging you hon...I have some very unhealthy coping mechanisms myself
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    thanks.
    So you're doing your GCSE's? It was around that time that I started to be more aware of my anxiety, as it got worse, and I developed depression.
    I hope you are getting help, because it seemed that with me, nobody took me seriously because of my age, and thought I was attention seeking, which isn't true. Even now, I am 18 nearly 19, I can feel quite alone and isolated because of it. :(
    It's sounds as though your maths tutor understands though, which is good. :thumb:

I found that too when I was 14... I went to different doctors several times and was completly fobbed off. I don't think they're very good at treating teenagers with the same respect as adults all the time.

I'm recommend pyschotherapy, if you're not getting any already. Shyboy made a thread not long ago about dealing with his anxiety... might be helpful to read his thread.... I'll go find the link. :)
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »

Aww thanks hun. :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It seems like teenagers have to deal with stuff and try to prove it all. That just makes it worse. I keep saying to people, if I was 21 or around that age, it would have been dealt with in a flash, but it's dragged out for so long, I think my doctor(s) think I am just a hypochondriac (or however the hell you spell it!)...
    I'm not very happy about it all, but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one... I mean that in a good way, not that it's good to go through any of it and not be listened to, just that you guys believe me...

um..yeah i think that makes sense.
  • Options
    Interesting.
    Im 23 now, i was 20 when i became depressed and started self-harming, and my gp struggled to get a psychiatrist to see me because of my age. Too old for the Camhs service(child and adolescent mental health service for 16-18 yr olds), but too young for the adult team to give a toss. When i did eventually get an appointment, he asked me 20mins of bullshit(where did i go to school, who do i live with) and dissmissed me.
    Ive persevered with medication for 3 yrs, i did 18months of therapy and now its 3 yrs on and it still feels like im going nowhere. I fuck up jobs, fuck up relationships, and im using drugs and developing an eating disorder because i cant cope, and nothing will be done until i give up and either kill myself or end up in hospital.(and i rather choose the 1st event happening over the 2nd because i live with my mum and have hid this for 3 yrs, i cant tell her, ad also i work in the fucking hospital!!)
  • Options
    well that sure told me....:(

sorry to hear that though...just keep going won't you.
  • Options
    Dont take it as a 'that told me'. If i came across a bit arsey i didnt mean to, sorry!!!
    Its all about luck. Whether you have an understanding gp, and whether the area you live in has an efficient mental health service. Some just dont have the resources available. The hospital i work at has people come from all over the north west admitted to the psych hospital thats on the same site, because there isnt services available where they live. It has a lot of people with long term mental illness and/or learning disabilities that to be in-patients or need rehabilitation, or elderly people, but that doesnt leave much space for adults with depression for example.
    Grrr, it all pisses me off.
  • Options
    ditto
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    I fuck up jobs, fuck up relationships, and im using drugs and developing an eating disorder because i cant cope, and nothing will be done until i give up and either kill myself or end up in hospital.(and i rather choose the 1st event happening over the 2nd because i live with my mum and have hid this for 3 yrs, i cant tell her, ad also i work in the fucking hospital!!)

Know how you feel...think if I had a title, it would be 'professional fuck up'. Everything I touch turns to shit.

I tend to overuse alcohol as a means of coping, which I know is not a good idea with the meds I'm on, but whatever gets you through the day, right?

I'm in no position to talk, but topping yourself is a very permanent solution, to a temporary problem. I'm sure your mum would rather see you break down than dead and day of the week....that's a realisation I stumbled upon the hard way :)
  • Options
    yeah, you're right.
    But id rather be dead than have my mum know.
  • Options
    Then get some help honey, seriously, before you implode
  • Options
    There isnt any.
    Im just replying to a thread anyway, im ok.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Adrenaline, if unused, is a poison in your body and makes you feel terrible. Anxiety increases the amount of adrenaline released into your body. The best method of counteracting this situation is exercise!
  • Options
    there are many things you can do, but seeing your GP is a good start. breathing into a paper bag, and talking about what is making you anxious! thats really really important!
  • Options
    Hi Sikorah, sorry if I'm sounding pushy, I just know where you are right now...believe me :)
  • Options
    dont be sorry, i appreciate it.
  • Options
    That adrenaline information is rather interesting, I wondered why I always got aggitated in class when I was at school and went off for a walk. My teacher commented on how much walking I did round the school, she must have seen me wandering about no end! I guess that just emphasises how anxious I was!