Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

network 2000 - vista

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so set up a really quick network, well i went on my desktop and shared the files (this is vista)

go to go to it on lappy on 2000, sometimes, it works, alot of the time the network crashes (its the computers near me bit) help?

Comments

• Options
    Ohh errm, make sure they are on the same domain. Vista puts the default as workgroup whearas xp is MSHOME i think. Just make sure , to check its..

Start > Netowork > Network and sharing center > Dropdown network discovery > and it says Workgroup : MSHOME

Try messing with that
  • Options
    thanks, when i have more time i'll try and mess around with it, its hard atm as the laptop cannot use battary, only ac power.
  • Options
    Yeah sucks when that happens to laptops. They can be repaired but its a bit risky and u need to solder stuff, new laptop batteries cost a bomb
  • Options
    i just bought it, refurbished, the batt cap is ment to be 38-40mh, it was holding 1.8 at 100%, sent the batt back
  • Options
    Ahhh! I've always had problems with vista and XP they never seamed to like each other...
  • Options
    Although this may be annoying, mine just worked. No domains, nothing.

Just get your vista pc name, set up sharing, turn off password protected sharing, go to the other pc, create shortcut to //pc-name - voila, network folder on your desktop.

No crashing here, well my brothers PC is slow and takes an age :p but I just sit playing battlefield 2 whilst he rips gigs off me hard drive lol
  • Options
    shyboy, sometimes it will just work, especially if both systems are xp and such. The problem is vista tends to use a different default domain if im right which tends to cause slowness and a pc on 2000 may not like it
  • Options
    My PC is Vista and my brothers is XP :) all domains standard as far as I know.
  • Options
    Must just be me then!
  • Options
    Matteh wrote: »
    Must just be me then!

Likewise none of my XP computers show up and Vista does not show up in the XP My network places either
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You KNOW this is a bad idea :p

I couldn't get 98 and XP to work, but I am guessing Vista should with 2k.

Essentially, make sure they are on the same domain, run network wizard, and always, always, check you have not assigned the PC a set IP address.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    always, check you have not assigned the PC a set IP address.

What's wrong with giving a computer a manual IP?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    CoolMe wrote: »
    What's wrong with giving a computer a manual IP?

Because if the other computer is on auto IP, it will spaz. At least, it did for us.