Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question about fancying friends

Was having a chat to a few friends about unrequainted love and I mentioned something along the lines about how I fancy a friend of mine, but see no point in telling him because I know nothing can come out of it. (He's with someone)

So anyway, I got told to just go ahead and tell him, but is there really any point?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not really. It may spoil your friendship tbh.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    but is there really any point?

You wont know until you tell him.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Which is what I thought. However, about a year ago, I got introduced to someone (as a friend) and ended up telling him that I fancy him and it went alright. Did feel really weird being around after though.
  • Options
    It depends how serious you are. I have little things for more than one of my male friends, but I don't tell them as it isn't really serious, just a bit of a crush. The one who I had serious feelings for I told about it, but that was because there was a chance something might happen.

What would telling him achieve?
  • Options
    What would telling him achieve?

Nothing I guess. I take it I've answered my question then?
  • Options
    Pretty much. Personally I wouldn't tell him unless there was some kind of potential outcome that is a bit more than it all being out in the open, otherwise it doesn't achieve anything really.
  • Options
    I told one of my best friends I fancied her over Christmas. Admittedly it was in a drunken text message I dont remember but nothings changed and i felt a lot better getting it off my chest afterwards. I didnt know i had done it for 5 days though. :blush: She also has a boyfriend!
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't tell him unless there was some kind of potential outcome that is a bit more than it all being out in the open, otherwise it doesn't achieve anything really.

I agree. Only open your gob if you think it has a quite good chance of going somewhere. I just prefer to suffer in silence.
  • Options
    Because also - it's totally gutting if you say it, expecting for something to happen, and it doesn't....not nice! :(

Happened to me, and took me quite a while to recover from the knock back...:(
  • Options
    Yep. If you're both single then go for it. But I see no point going for it when they're with someone. If they're meant to be with that person, then that ruels you out. If not, then they'll break up with them eventually anyway, and you can make your move. But don't wait around for someone who's in a relationship.
  • Options
    Not really. It may spoil your friendship tbh.

true... I used to go with your tactic in last october. I made friends with a girl through uni, and suddenly she was integrated in our uni-peers, and everyone got on with her.

Then I fell for her and told her. killed the friendship (on my behalf tho, found it better that way, don't ask), and now my friends still meet her, but me not^^

I wouldn't do it, sofie... maybe mention it on the side on some drunken night out, that he is the type of person you could imagine having a rlship, as a compliment thingy not a profess-the-love thingy. So at least then he knows, if you really want that. be careful.
  • Options
    But don't wait around for someone who's in a relationship.

I'm not going to do that. He's told me's happy with the person he's with now.
  • Options
    I'm not going to do that. He's told me's happy with the person he's with now.

I'd leave it then for now. No point sticking your neck out for something that's not going to happen right now. You never know, at some point in he future you might end up both single and both up for it at the same time. Then you can stick your neck out.
  • Options
    Is there any easy way of moving on whilst staying friends with him?
  • Options
    Is there any easy way of moving on whilst staying friends with him?

I can only speak for myself, but either cut down the contact a bit and get distracted. Thinking of him only makes it worse, because you are of course only thinking about the good parts, or fantasizing, or find another person of interest...
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    or find another person of interest...

This rarely works for me, but will give it another try.
  • Options
    if you say anything ,chances are you will spoil the relationship your mates already in ,or spoil your friendship ..:eek:

its not worth it..:p
  • Options
    Dunno...had fone sex with a good friend the other nite, and haven't heard from him since. My advice...steer well clear :)
  • Options
    i am in a similar situation, i have recently realised i really like my best male mate. everyone else has thought we've liked each other for a while because we are really affectionate with each other, cuddlely and such like.
    he isn't with anyone but fancy's a girl way hotter than me, but they don't know each other that well it's more of a fancy from afar.
    i am going to tell him because since i've realised i feel very awkward around him and we end up arguing alot.
    pretty sure he doesn't like me back but will tell him anyway to get it off my chest. can't imagine he'll hate me for it and hopefully we'll get over it in a few days.
    dunno if this was helpful more just saying i know how u feel
    i know i sound sorted but any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks
  • Options
    Doubt he'll hate you, and he doesn't really fancy this other girl, just thinks she's hot. There's a difference. I reckon you're doing the right thing by telling him, and you might be pleasently surprised.
  • Options
    i am in a similar situation, i have recently realised i really like my best male mate. everyone else has thought we've liked each other for a while because we are really affectionate with each other, cuddlely and such like.
    he isn't with anyone but fancy's a girl way hotter than me, but they don't know each other that well it's more of a fancy from afar.
    i am going to tell him because since i've realised i feel very awkward around him and we end up arguing alot.
    pretty sure he doesn't like me back but will tell him anyway to get it off my chest. can't imagine he'll hate me for it and hopefully we'll get over it in a few days.
    dunno if this was helpful more just saying i know how u feel
    i know i sound sorted but any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks

If you do tell him, don't just say 'I fancy you' and walk off.

Update from me:
    Have finally deided that telling him really isn't worth it and am going to try and move on. (which, currently is really hard:( )
  • Options
    I know one of my old mates really liked me, and made it obvious. It frequently made me uncomfortable, I can't remember everything, but there was just this underlying current within the group, especially when I fell for another guy there.

They "other guy" wasn't a close mate, but he was still a mate, I told him I liked him and it's now over two years since we got together. I did wait until he was leaving the school until telling him outright, but I dropped plenty of hints beforehand, so in a way I did play it quite safe.

So for me, it was worth it. For the first guy, it didn't get him anywhere, and if anything only caused problems within the friendship group because he couldn't come to terms with the fact I wasn't interested.
  • Options
    I've grappled with this dilemma many a time, only to come to a different answer every time. The first time I dealt with it, I decided to keep my mouth shut. That worked fine - for a few months, at least. I then found out she's felt the same way the whole time. By then, it was too late - she had a boyfriend. Oh, shit!

The second time, I decided to bite the bullet, and tell the girl in question. However, on the day I was actually going to tell her, she approached me, and told me "Danny, I've bottled this up for a while, but I can't do it any longer. I've got to tell you - I really fancy you and me being more than friends". She looked like she thought I was about to reject her out of hand. Wrong! I was delighted! When she noticed I was feeling the same, we got together straight away.

My answer would therefore be - go for it. You'll never know if you don't say anything.
  • Options
    I have a feeling now that I've made it rather obvious that I fancy him because (according to him anyway) I seem really clingy and want attention all the time.