Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Random Words

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you have any words or sayings that you use that you have no clue what they mean or where they came from?

I dunno, the thought just came to me the other day, I was talking to my friend and he said 'haha, look at him pegging it across the car park' (pegging means running really fast just in case anybody didnt know :D) and i was thinking where the hell did the phrase 'pegging it' come from?! i mean i say it every now and then!

Also something i say a lot is 'faffing' haha like 'i hate faffing about' but i dont know where that comes from either. in fact faffing is one of my favourite words. haha.

These two might just be northernisms but i just thought i would post em as examples :D

any others?

Comments

• Options
    I always say faff and faffing...it's a brilliant word!

I also say twoddle, as in "that's a load of twoddle" and puss (said pus meaning mouth), as in "shut your puss!"

That's all I can think of just now :p
  • Options
    I've heard "pegging it" being used. We say "necking it" too sometimes for the same thing.

Also, if someone owned you, you say "Ah ripped out!"
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've heard 'peggin it' and 'faffing about' a fair bit so I doubt it's just a northern thing.

If you 'lunch' something you fuck it up.
    If something 'covely' it's wrong and in a fucked up kind of way.
    If somedodyes 'quibbed' they're wasted.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I use 'faffing around', I also use 'naff off!' but have no idea how that happened. I suppose those two just sound like made up words, I can't think of any Standard English words that use those sounds.

I add the suffixes 'est' and 'age' onto a lot of things. Like 'that was a good bit of run-age' after going for a run or something! I don't know how that started!
  • Options
    I've used 'peg it' for quite some time. It means the same as everyone have said on this topic so far. However, 'necking it' means to down a shot of vodka/whiskey etc really quickly.