Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Opening a bank account if you have a CCJ

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to open a bog standard account - I'm on benefits at the mo and I have a sodding CCJ. Barclays website says you cannot open an account if you have a CCJ, it also says you need a regular income (I'm hoping benefits are included in this).
So what do I do? :( Where can I open an account if I have a CCJ? I don't want an overdraft or anything like that, just somewhere for my money to go to.

Comments

• Options
    Go into a RBS branch and ask to open a 'key' account.
    I used to work for them - they will be able to help. Just take enough ID. You won't get a debit card or cheque book but you'll get a cash machine card. Takes a few days to open.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Go into a RBS branch and ask to open a 'key' account.
    I used to work for them - they will be able to help. Just take enough ID. You won't get a debit card or cheque book but you'll get a cash machine card. Takes a few days to open.

I called them and they just told me to apply for the standard account online anyway - would it be better to just go and speak to them?
  • Options
    I think it would be better for you to talk to them. That way you might get a bit more information from them?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think it would be better for you to talk to them. That way you might get a bit more information from them?
    *takes dumb and unable to help self hat off* going today :D
    cheers peeps
  • Options
  • Options
    You need a basic account Vicky - one with no credit facilities. That way there is no credit check for you to fail.

Halifax offer an Easycash account that you can open online; alternatively, other good banks to try are the Nationwide and the Co-op.

Most banks will try and flog you their shiny top current account with bells and whistles on because they make a fortune out of them - however, you're likely to fail a credit check for them if you have a CCJ.

Make sure when you go in you emphasise that you want a basic account only. As long as you don't have a record of fraud (or in some cases, if you are an undischarged bankrupt) then under section 3.1 of the Banking Code then they can't refuse you.
    Ah that's brilliant. Yeah I just want bog standard with no credit facillities.
    Are Halifax and Nationwide building societies?
    I'm going to Barclays today anyway, hopefully like you said they can't refuse me.
    Cheers chick.
  • Options
  • Options
    RBS refused me a current account originally, but they gave ne a "savings" account which i used, just as good,

I found nationwide are a very good BS, i used them in the past and we're brilliant.

savings accounts with cards are just the same as basic account, just make sure you know the limit on withdrawal (for me £300aday and if there is a min you'd need going in)