Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

American Bank Account

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you have to live in the USA to have a US Bank account do you? Google send me money in dollars converted to pounds but maybe better to get them to send it to a US bank account and have a nice holiday there instead with spending money on arrival? Only about $300 a year so far anyway.

Comments

• Options
    I think you'd have to have at least a mailing address in the States so they can send your details etc.
  • Options
    With some banks, you need a social security no. but I know there are some (I think US Bank & maybe Chase & Wells Fargo) where you don't need one. Probs do need an American address too :chin: can't remember.

To be honest, I use my card (:yippe: for plastic) most of the time here anyway, so you might be able to get away with that & a few travelers' cheques if you were visiting. (I know that's slightly off topic, but meh)
  • Options
    Aye, I'm pretty sure you need a US address, but there's definitely some way round it. My brother works internationally, and is being paid in dollars at the mo, and he has a US bank account he gets paid into, to avoid being screwed on the exchange rate.

He does have a postal address in America, but it isn't a permanent address or even a residential address, think it's just a PO box or similar type thing.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Aye, I'm pretty sure you need a US address, but there's definitely some way round it. My brother works internationally, and is being paid in dollars at the mo, and he has a US bank account he gets paid into, to avoid being screwed on the exchange rate.

He does have a postal address in America, but it isn't a permanent address or even a residential address, think it's just a PO box or similar type thing.

You can get a US dollar account from most UK banks, that might be the only option. RBS / Natwest are generally good for them but your own bank should be able to help.