Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying child support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just finding out some info for someone.

If the fathers name is not on his child's birth cert does he still have to pay for child support, I didn't think you have to.

Comments

• Options
    think he does if he admits to been the dad ,or if its proven ,ie; dna testing..
  • Options
    zooloo wrote: »
    think he does if he admits to been the dad ,or if its proven ,ie; dna testing..

:yes:
  • Options
    If he is the father, why would he not want to pay towards his kids? :confused:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »

In my case because that means he has less of his giro to spend on weed/beer and vinyl!! My sons father is quite happy to call himself Dad, but shirks any of the financial and emotional responsibilities unfortunately :(

Anyhow, if the father isn't on the birth certificate it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. *I think* If there is any doubt over the father of the child, he will be DNA tested and should he be proved to be the father the payments will be backdated to the date the mother made the claim.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »

because hes a waste of space man....:mad:

my kids dad is good with them but gives me fuck all towards there keep ,,he used to,then it stopped due to reasons beyond his control and it just never started again.:mad:
  • Options
    She doesn't want to his name on the birth cert and she doesn't want the kid to have anything to do with the dad, all she wants is the baby and child support, although he wants to be on the birth cert and so if he has to pay child support I think he expects to see the kid.

It's quite a strange one, I think she was just with him for the child.
  • Options
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    She doesn't want to his name on the birth cert and she doesn't want the kid to have anything to do with the dad, all she wants is the baby and child support, although he wants to be on the birth cert and so if he has to pay child support I think he expects to see the kid.

It's quite a strange one, I think she was just with him for the child.

Ok, no offense to your friend or whatever, but if she's trying to get money out of him, the least she can do is let him see the kid once in a while (unless of course he's a paedophile or something, obv.). He's the father, not just a wallet. And if he wants to see the kid, yay!! Some men don't even wanna see their kids.
  • Options
    Financial support and access to the child are treated as two separate matters by the courts and solicitors. Even if it's decided it's in the best interests of the child not to see the father for whatever reason (has to be a damn good reason too) then he will still be expected to pay maintenance. If the CSA decide that the fathers earnings are not sufficient to collect maintenance, it won't affect any decision by the court regarding access to the child.