Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UK Hosting Company Recommendations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got about 11 months until my 3 year contract runs out with an American hosting company, so as my domain names come up for renewal I want to think about moving my website back to the UK.

Ideally I want a company that has a way to have one account with many domain names - ATM I paid for 3 years hosting in advance which worked out really cheap - like less then £4 per month for 1gb of space and 40gb of bandwidth and upto 6 domain names that could be hosted with them - but the fact the servers are in the USA means there is always a transatlantic bottle neck and also means Google.co.uk never see's my websites are being British just because the servers aren't in the UK - ideally want to pay on price to be able to host maybe upto 10 websites and also prefer plesk to cPanel although could live with either.

So any recommendations?

Oh and anyway to hide my name and address from domain name registrations, really want to create a new local community website BUT don't want my details broadcast on the web, I know GoDaddy offers a service to hide your details, know of any others?

Comments

• Options
    DG, Micfo have Colo servers based in both the UK & US, the UK ones are in London at the Docklands. The only thing is you might not want a dedicated server, the cheapest UK one is £58.80 p/m. I'm also willing to bet that Micfo will give you a good deal seeing as you've been with them for a while.

You'd prolly be better of asking over at www.webhostingtalk.com there are a lot of hosts there and a lot of people that knpw good hosts, unfortunately you probably won't find a UK based one that offers as service as good as Micfo or at their price.

As for domains, if you buy a .co.uk then Nominet won't allow you to mask your entire whois info. eNom also offer a service like GoDaddy's.
  • Options
    I use gradwell - good service but they are not cheap.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    DG, Micfo have Colo servers based in both the UK & US, the UK ones are in London at the Docklands. The only thing is you might not want a dedicated server, the cheapest UK one is £58.80 p/m. I'm also willing to bet that Micfo will give you a good deal seeing as you've been with them for a while.

You'd prolly be better of asking over at www.webhostingtalk.com there are a lot of hosts there and a lot of people that knpw good hosts, unfortunately you probably won't find a UK based one that offers as service as good as Micfo or at their price.

As for domains, if you buy a .co.uk then Nominet won't allow you to mask your entire whois info. eNom also offer a service like GoDaddy's.

Talk about speaking of the Devil .. just got this 2 seconds ago - 4 days whole notice .. that's the kinda reason I don't wanna use Micfo any more - they messed me about too much in the past and moved my websites to like 5 different servers .. or suspending one of my websites cos it got hacked and not even telling me. Also when I first joined them it was like a promise to answer technical emails within 30 minutes - that's gone to pot now as well, can be days sometimes ..

This email was about their free service .. of which I just used two accounts

Dear Free Hosting Customer,

We regret to inform you that your free web hosting account with Micfo.com will be terminated permanently on Wednesday April 11th, 2007 as we will no longer offer free web hosting and this service is being phased out.

You can visit our us at http://www.micfo.com and browse our web site to get additional information about our paid hosting services. At this time we offer various type of web hosting solutions which may suit your needs and requirements:

1. Linux Web Hosting
    2. Windows Hosting
    3. Linux Reseller Hosting
    4. Windows Reseller Hosting
    5. VPS Hosting
    6. US Dedicated Servers
    7. UK Dedicated Servers
  • Options
    Checkout reseller package at: http://www.heartinternet.co.uk

I've used Heart Internet for over 12 months and host around 30 websites. Very fast hosting.

Plus the 24hr support is amazing....submit a ticket and within 30 minutes you always receive a reply.

I've tried fasthosts.co.uk wasn’t happy and many hidden charges like for MSQL databases etc; etc;

"Jst" before you say it this is not spam :thumb:
  • Options
    Looks interesting .. website a little confusing with all the various options though I want to host about 6 domains, certainly the space and transfer it offers is more then enough for what I need but not sure how it works on the most basic package for multiple domains if at all.
  • Options
    Anyone use Uk2

http://uk2.net/web_hosting/

Their Basic package looks like more then enough for what I need with the 75p a month upgrade to host up to 10 websites and I know they've been around for many years and they seem UK based.

.... Further research seems to show they screw you on the domain names more then the hosting ... I did use UK2 many years ago and at the time they wanted you to pay them £80 to transfer a domain to another supplier.
  • Options
    this looks interesting but they seem to be in Germany

http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/webhosting/packages.html
  • Options
    Anyone use Uk2

http://uk2.net/web_hosting/

Their Basic package looks like more then enough for what I need with the 75p a month upgrade to host up to 10 websites and I know they've been around for many years and they seem UK based.

.... Further research seems to show they screw you on the domain names more then the hosting ... I did use UK2 many years ago and at the time they wanted you to pay them £80 to transfer a domain to another supplier.

Have used them in the past. They tended to charge in an odd manner, so what looked like very small charges in the headline figures ended up being the same as everyone else's.

However, we did have one of racked server offerings for about a year which I think was reasonable value (especially for me as I wasn't paying for it), though the downside was that you pretty much seemed to have to manage it yourself, when I'd expect some things to be dealt with (like app patches and stuff)
  • Options
    We host gradwell's dedicated servers in our data center, I know they are one of the leading voip providers although not really looked into their hosting services.

Not trying to plug where I work for but have a look at newnet.co.uk, our powerhost system might not meet you needs in which case fair enough if it doesnt I wouldnt mind any feedback on why as we are always looking to improve the services we offer. However I could guarentee top support for our powerhost system since I am one of the guys who looks after it :p
  • Options
    Quick question, why would you have six domains pointed at one hosting space?

Surely one site cant go by six different names!.. unless your talking about been a reseller
  • Options
    Matteh wrote: »

Surely one site cant go by six different names!.. unless your talking about been a reseller

I expect he wants one server/account that allows him to host multiple websites with different names. Quite often a hosting service is just one domain.
  • Options
    Matteh wrote: »

6 totally different website but they share the same server

like at present I have 1,000MB of webspace and can have up to 6 different websites hosted and I allocate that 1GB of space between the 6 sites.

But for the popular sites I always have a .COM and .co.uk registered - you don't wanna build up a popular website and have someone nick a similar domain off of you.

Anyway I registered for the Strato 12 months hosting for £1 - went for the top package