Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Swimming lessons

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So like, I can't swim and I'm thinking that I really should learn how to.

HOWEVER, I had both private and school swimming lessons when I was younger but with no luck. This was when I was in late primary school/early high school. I'm not quite sure why I can't swim as I really tried. My Grandad couldn't swim either and one my brothers is a really weak swimmer.

I don't know whether its because I have a fear of drowning. Also, when I had my first ever swimming lesson in school, I blacked out for a few seconds under the water and woke up panicking with water up my nose :| It must have been only a few seconds because nobody noticed :lol:

Anyways, are lessons a waste of money? Should I try and teach myself or should I get lessons? Also, where on earth do you get lessons and how much on average, do they cost?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have no ideas about lessons but i can't swim either :D

I'm shit scared of deep water :(
  • Options
    Same here. I completely freak out if I can't feel my feet on the floor in a pool :(
  • Options
    I think if you want to learn you should, a good place to start would be your local swim centre/leisure centre. You could get a family member to help you but I think it would be good for you to have a professional around to help you. I think they can do one on one classes as well, I guess you would have to call and find out!
  • Options
    During the first half of Primary school I was terrifried of pools and swimming. But then I had a private swimming instructor and she was brilliant. I've never had such a good teacher for anything, totally got rid of my fear and in a few years time I was entering swimming competitions and stuff.
    This was years ago though, so I wouldn't really have a clue about costs and stuff, sorry.

The one thing that I remember that really gave me courage, is that if you actually go into a deep part of the pool and stop swimming...you don't sink. You just float, sure your head may go under water, but you can keep that up easily and just do a bit of doggy paddling. Just don't panick or start splashing around and you'll be fine.

Good luck. :thumb:
  • Options
    I like swimming because I thought girls were hot in the pool.

One girl swam on top of me (dont think she was looking where she was going) and it was just before that terrible age, but it brought on an erection all the same.

I would say start off in the shallow end, enquire at the leisure centre because they have different times for different kinds of swimmers (i.e. sometimes they close the pool for people doing 'proper' swimming, sometimes it's women only / OAP only).
  • Options
    a lot of sports centres do referesher courses or lessons for adults, so it might be worth asking and seeing if they do anything like that near you. would make it a lot less awkward if you were there with other adults who were learning too, well, i'd find it easier.
  • Options
    Same here. I completely freak out if I can't feel my feet on the floor in a pool :(

Do you have an Esporta near you? I know it's expensive there, but if you go the gym anyway (not that I know if you do like) and want to to learn to swim (by yourself or with help) then it's a decent enough deal.

I only say this as I'm a member, and all the locations I've been to (my local one, and to a few others nearer to where my friends live) the swimming pool has been all one depth - and I can touch the floor fine and I'm a short arse :) Might be a bit better if (like me) you have a fear of drowning.
  • Options
    I had lessons at a local swimming pool cause the school ones were crap and the teachers just shouted at us. I did it for several years and got really good at it at one point. I got my 800m certificate.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I was swimming from the age of three and went swimmign with my primary school one a week. I thought all school kids did? I did me 1000m badge when I was 9.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I did swimming at school too. I loved getting that badge where you get to jump in the pool with your clothes on, fun! :D
    Tried swimming again just recently actually and found I couldnt remember how to front crawl at all so just had to breast stroke it the whole time :o
  • Options
    I find it very difficult to sink when I'm in the pool.

How did I learn? Did lessons in shallow water in primary school so knew how to swin. As for floating in the deep end, my two friends grabbed me by the hands while I jumped in. I had no choice really but to go with them and they told me how to thread the water, kick outwards with your legs and hands when you emerge from the water. Worked then and haven't looked back.

Basically, it's like riding a bike, once you know how to do it, it's easy as fuck.
  • Options
    Me and my brother had lessons from toddlers to about eight/nine as my mum can't swim and was determined for us to learn. Best thing to do is contact the local pools/gyms with pools and see if they do refesher/adult lessons. One to one lessons might help you as well.