Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you think DVD's.....

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Are going the way of VHS?

I say this because of the release of HD disks and Blu-ray technology. I wanna build up my DVD collection again but am scared there gonna go the way of VHS. In the sense you can't get rid if you need to.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think they'll stay strong for a while yet. The main reason being that with HD and Blu-Ray being competitors and films not being avaiable on both formats it means that people would need to have both systems which isnt going to happen, e.g. Playstation 3's play Blu-Ray disks but dont play HD disks. I think Toshiba are/have developed a unit which plays both but its very very pricey. Ill be waiting until more units are developed that play both before investing.

The advantage DVD has over VHS though is that with it being a disk both HD and Blu-Ray systems should still play them.
  • Options
    They are, but I estimate it will be around another two years until either replace DVD's, or at the very least until they are used as widely as DVD's are currently.
  • Options
    I've heard those players cost a grand.
  • Options
    I'm sure in time everything will go the way of the VHS video, including DVD's. Twenty years from now I'm sure mobile phones will also be in the dustbin of history.

Don't worry about it, just live for the moment.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I just don't wanna make the same mistake as my dad, going mad buying DVD's (videos in his case) so many that our entire downstairs cuboard is packed out with them. only to find you can't get rid of them.
  • Options
    Ah, the joys of downloading movies instead of buying them en-mass like a chump :razz:
  • Options
    I don't really have a opinion on whats going to happen to DVD's haha, because I don't understand all these new things .... but today, me and a lad at work were sent upstairs to do some annual training, and they put a video on for us... then I had to switch it to another afterwards, and I got in a proper stress trying to work out how to get it out :lol: Which is really bad, but it just shows how redundant videos are now... and yet I've got loads of videos and there are some that aren't exactly films hundreds years old.
  • Options
    Collect stamps instead, they'll always be a hit. :yes:
  • Options
    The future is Blu-ray Disc. It's technically superior to HD DVD in almost every department.
  • Options
    Long as the HD/Blu Ray players are backward compatible i dont mind. I think as long as we're putting movies on little plastic discs then DVD wont die....hell, they still release films on VHS sometimes....so if that isnt dead yet, dvd has a loooooong life yet
  • Options
    they are in a way, but DVDs have the advantage that Blu Ray/HD DVD players will be backwards compatible. so unless you are anal about picture quality, the transition will be pretty smooth.
  • Options
    Nah, downloads will destroy DVD before Blueray or HD-DVD ever will. How many people even have a TV that can even display HD? They offer no advantage to the average person with a normal sized TV. I mean no-one will have a HDTV in their bedroom, and if they do it will be the most pointless use of technology since the zero gravity pen. Blueray and HD will always be more expensive to make than DVD's which wasn't the case when DVD's took over videos. It's all about profits, and in the long run, downloads are gonna be way more profitable than any disc format. But don't worry about building up your DVD collection. Just think about how much mint condition vinyl goes for nowadays, and take comfort in that.
  • Options
    Nah, downloads will destroy DVD before Blueray or HD-DVD ever will.

See, I don't think so. Even today you get alot of weirdo's who like to buy CD's/DVD's instead of simply downloading what theywant.
  • Options
    Build you DVDs up. Blue-ray and HD will be made backwards compatible so you can still use them.
  • Options
    I probably will now, I dont get film channels and film 4 is showing bad ones :crying:
  • Options
    I probably will now, I dont get film channels and film 4 is showing bad ones :crying:

Film 4 seem to play the same films on rotation to me. Never anything on I want to see either.
  • Options
    its either on too late for me to see or its shite.
  • Options
    I'm agreeing with I'm with Stupid on this one. Blu-ray and hd-dvd are both going to be redundant long before they any impact at all on the market - they've been invented simply to generate a further income on physical mediums in the hope of avoiding wider online distribution of films.

Dvds were able to take advantage of the a vast catalogue of already available high quality versions of films already available on laserdisc, and present the extras in an easier format.

The idea that dvds will be replaced has been created by marketing firms - no one who hasn't got a huge income is going to care, and the idea you'd be happy to pay £20 for a film on blu-ray when an almost identical dvd version will be available for £5 on the day of release is ludicrious.

Theoretically there are a few things you could look at doing to improve the sales (end pre-release in cinema and make blu ray of hd-dvd releases come out on the day of cinema release, whilst withholding dvd release for a couple of months - complete seasons of tv shows on one disc for discount prices) - but none of that is actually being done.

The line-up of releases is an embarrassment (Knight's Tale, another release of Snatch or se7en).

Dvds will continue a remain mass medium, downloads will slowly replace it. Hd-dvd and blu-ray will both be as successful as superbit DVD releases or DVD-audio.