Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eyeliner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How'd you do it?

After reading that you need 'practice and finesse' I realised that I have neither.

I pencil as close to the inside of my eye as possible and only do the lower part and even then I only make a half stroke..so rather then go right into the corner of my eye I start at the outter bit and finish half way.

Hmm I'm shit at describing.

Comments

• Options
    God, I feel your pain. I'm desperate to perfect the top lid flick, but apparently liquid eyeliner and me don't mix.

I've read all the tips people post about resting your arm on something, practice, patience, practice and practice, but nowt works. I'm quite the sad clown. :(
  • Options
    Ohh at least you attempt it. I miss the top lid out altogether and just do below.
  • Options
    I only try the top when I'm not going out, so can't look stoopid! Normally I stick to bottom only, or bottom + smudged colour on the top. Even then, I use a pencil, as liquid just ends in messy black sadness every time.

How much do you reckon it would cost to hire a makeup artist to just do my top lid eyeliner?
  • Options
    I use black pencil eyeliner, i used to use liquid but it's quite hard to work with.

Hmm what do i do. I start at the bottom, outer side to inner (but not all the way in). Then on the top i do it from the inside out underneath my eyelashes, not on my actual eyelid. Lol like any of that made sense. I then smudge it so it doesn't look like i've drawn on myself with a crayon.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    How much do you reckon it would cost to hire a makeup artist to just do my top lid eyeliner?
    £50 an hour. Gimme a call! :lol:
  • Options
    I think my eyeliner looks quite good actually :chin:

Excuse redness!
    eye.JPG 49.4K
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Hmm what do i do. I start at the bottom, outer side to inner (but not all the way in). Then on the top i do it from the inside out underneath my eyelashes, not on my actual eyelid. Lol like any of that made sense. I then smudge it so it doesn't look like i've drawn on myself with a crayon.

When you said about doing the top lid do you close your eye and trace along or you mean open your eye wide and actually go under the lash? how do you do it? lol
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    When you said about doing the top lid do you close your eye and trace along or you mean open your eye wide and actually go under the lash? how do you do it? lol

Open my eye and go under the lash. I can't do it in one stroke though. I usually go from inside to the middle, then middle to outside.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Open my eye and go under the lash. I can't do it in one stroke though. I usually go from inside to the middle, then middle to outside.

Haha wow. See I know where I have been going wrong now.

I closed my eye and traced it along where my lids meet my lashes.

You've educated me! Took a while. I'm only 20 :blush:
  • Options
    I find that by closing my eye and going along the line that i get left with a gap between the liner and my lashes which just looks odd. By going under you avoid that.
  • Options
    That thing about practice, it's true. It's like anything else really. IF you keep trying you'll learn how to apply it properly. It's always helpful to have a table or something to lean on but it's not necassary, it can be done without. Liquid eyeliner is for people in complete cotrol, otherwise it'll just look a mess as it is so hard to use.
  • Options
    Yep, start from the inside, with your eyes open and get as close to your lashline as possible. If it's done right, you shouldn't be able to see any gaps between the liner and the lashes.
  • Options
    £50 an hour. Gimme a call! :lol:

:shocking:

Fook that for a game of cricket! Reckon I'll just stick to my trusty pencil and smudging ways.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    Haha wow. See I know where I have been going wrong now.

I closed my eye and traced it along where my lids meet my lashes.

You've educated me! Took a while. I'm only 20 :blush:

I think the problem here is you are closing both eyes and don't see where you are drawing around on your face. If you get carried away you might end up with an eyeliner almost reaching your earlobe.
  • Options
    Illora, you have seriously beautiful eyes !!

I started with pencil, clarins is my favourite and when I could master drawing a line across my eyelashes I moved on to liquid, I found Ruby and Millies Iwriter to be the easiest one to use.

I found because I wasnt used to wearing liquid I didnt think it looked right until I had my mascara on as well to complete the look.
  • Options
    I just do the bottom part. I've tried the part that Lacy said, and I poked myself in the eye so I gave up. I'll try again one day