Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bristol clubbing

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm asking this out of curiosity. I took a sandwich year in 2000/1 to work as a web designer in Bristol. Social life was slow for the first 10 weeks. Come January 2001 and everything came to life. I proceeded to enjoy 8 months of clubbing down there. For the dance clubbers, there was "Scream" at the Rock, "Slinky" at Creation, "Harder Baby" at Cafe Blue and the occaisional Sundissential on bank holidays. For those who preferred pop music, you had the Works and Evolution which were both pretty technologically advanced places.

Six years on, what are the current hot spots in Bristol?

I'm based near to Birmingham now and enjoy the odd grind in Air, Sanctuary and the Custard Factory :-)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Creation, Works and Evolution have now closed down due to the fact that they had an alarming crime rate compared to the rest of Bristol.

If you liked the Works and Evo, then these have been replaced by Baja and Syndicate which are exactly the same from what i can see. Or Oceana or like er i dunno i don't really go to those kinda places.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Creation, Works and Evolution have now closed down due to the fact that they had an alarming crime rate compared to the rest of Bristol.

If you liked the Works and Evo, then these have been replaced by Baja and Syndicate which are exactly the same from what i can see. Or Oceana or like er i dunno i don't really go to those kinda places.

Syndicate's meant to be the largest club in the UK which I doubt but it's quite fun if you've got a good group of mates to go with.

Best club in Bristol is the Bierkeller.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    One word - LAKOTA

Dirty raving dive - just the way I like it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    One word - LAKOTA

Dirty raving dive - just the way I like it.

Innit. Was in there last summer for some Unity event and the sweat was dripping from the ceiling on the top floor. We were VJing but had to cut it short as the laptop kept crashing because of the heat.

I go to the Arc and occasionally timbuk2. Sometimes the Croft or the Thekla . Depends on what night the boyfriend is playing at or promoting etc. The Cooler is supposed to be good but I've never been in there. I'm a bit too scared to go in Club UK.

I'm not into places like Oceana (even though I heard it's quite impressive inside) or the Bierkeller as they are just full of hen and stag parties.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I went to the Bierkeller in December 2000 on a works do. Pretty good indie place it was. I've been to Lakota too in 2001. When I was there, it was Energiser vs Feverish.

I believe that the 'Rock' became the Bristol Academy soon after I left in 2001? Do they still run Scream there? Has Slinky been evicted from Bristol now, or are they at a different club?
  • Options
    I don't think Slinky is in Bristol anymore.

Jooly - I too am too scared to go into Club UK :o It's probably the best place in Bristol for the music i like but i'm not really into getting my head blown off.