Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tesco.com

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I couldn't help but notice that when shopping on Tesco.com there were a lot of unhealthy products being heavily advertised at what might be called the online point of sale (to children). There is a whole load of chocolate bars, chocolate bags, easter eggs, biscuits, cakes, cake bars, ice creams, cheesecakes, boxed chocolates, etc that take up probably half of the multibuy and savings offers on tescos website.

I just think this is unreasonable, especially after so much concern of England following the American trend and trying to stop it. Children who are actually encouraged to participate in shopping with their parents are subjected to so much candy it will be ny-on impossible to take it out of their diet.

Can this not be stopped?

Comments

• Options
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    Children who are actually encouraged to participate in shopping with their parents are subjected to so much candy it will be ny-on impossible to take it out of their diet.

Can this not be stopped?

Yes, the parents could try saying no.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »

I'm not going to say that is easier said than done, because thats not the only issue. If one parent says no then the likelihood is the other parent or grandparents/ other relatives will provide the child with candy anyway.

I think it would support the cause if supermarkets stopped this.
  • Options
    I'm not going to say that is easier said than done, because thats not the only issue. If one parent says no then the likelihood is the other parent or grandparents/ other relatives will provide the child with candy anyway.

I think it would support the cause if supermarkets stopped this.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT that the vast majority of special offers are this kind of stuff, because it's not, but it's not as simple as that.

Saying no to kids is as easy to do as to say, I know, I've got six of the buggers. You say no, and keep saying no till they give up and go away, regardless of whatever foot stamping or tantrum throwing they do in the meantime. Trouble is, most parents now are too lilly liverred, or too damned afraid to discipline little Cosima/Chardonnay (this crap knows no class boundaries) because of bleeding heart liberal policies.

When I was a kid it was very unusual to see ANYONE obese, much less a kid. Yet our mothers cooked with lard, and gave us sweets on a regular basis. Why do you think that is?
  • Options
    how many kids shop online at tesco?
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    What about pester power though, a very real and serious problem, that afflicts all most parents.

Saying no to children sounds like a very obvious answer but you have to consider that children are consumers in their own right. The Halifax have found that around two thirds of 7 to 13 year olds are given pocket money and the average amount of pocket money a child recieves is £7.82 a week and they can spend that on whatever rubbish they want. There are convenience stores everywhere now so I assume many children have the ability to shop alone and unsupervised therefore irradicating the possiblity or opportunity of the parent to say "no".

I think the issue raised is really relevant especially with the recent changes in food advertising to children and the health drives being promoted by the government resulting from the growing obesity rates. This sort of supermarket sales just serves to undermine all these changes and I think in an ideal world tougher regulations should definately be considered, i'm not sure this will ever happen though!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »

The same amount who have credit/debit cards, or know mummy or daddy's card numbers/log in details for the site.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    The same amount who have credit/debit cards, or know mummy or daddy's card numbers/log in details for the site.

if i was 13 with my mummy or daddy's bank card, the first site i went to WOULDNT be tesco.com

plus how many kids have mummy or daddy;s card? i guess...not many :thumb:
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    What about pester power though, a very real and serious problem, that afflicts all most parents.

It's not the pestering that's the serious problem here (that almost made me laugh out loud btw), it's the parents being to spineless to say no and mean it. Kids have always pestered, and they always will. It's not a problem for me, I take so much of it and then I make them shut up or go away! They know it doesn't really work, so they know it's not worth going on too long. Some parents will do anything for an easy or quiet life.

Saying no to children sounds like a very obvious answer but you have to consider that children are consumers in their own right. The Halifax have found that around two thirds of 7 to 13 year olds are given pocket money and the average amount of pocket money a child recieves is £7.82 a week and they can spend that on whatever rubbish they want. There are convenience stores everywhere now so I assume many children have the ability to shop alone and unsupervised therefore irradicating the possiblity or opportunity of the parent to say "no".

Well maybe that's a clue that kids are getting too much pocket money then.
  • Options

Is that the best you could do. I wasn't implying that at all. Maybe you should ask yourself how many parents encourage their children to sit with them while they browse the internet - even to do the shopping. I was merely stating that this IS encouraged and if parents are doing it then the consequence is that the majority of the more 'popular' pages that contain offers are full of candy.
  • Options
    Is that the best you could do. I wasn't implying that at all. Maybe you should ask yourself how many parents encourage their children to sit with them while they browse the internet - even to do the shopping. I was merely stating that this IS encouraged and if parents are doing it then the consequence is that the majority of the more 'popular' pages that contain offers are full of candy.
    they best i could do? nah

its a bit different to advertising them on the disney channel or cbbc

its on a tesco website

the PARENTS are responsible for shopping, therefore the chance of kids coming into the contact with the site/ordering from the site is really quite slim, so i dont see how tesco.com advertising wotsits is partly to blame for child obesity

like i said, if they were being rammed down the kids throats on media aimed at kids themselves (kids channels/mags/websites) have a moan, but parents use tesco.com therefore its their responsibility not to order the crap, that way the kids cant eat the crap :thumb:

yes these products are advertised, but big wow, thats the way of the world....beer is advertised, doesnt mean parents should give in when the kids whinge for it
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    The Halifax have found that around two thirds of 7 to 13 year olds are given pocket money and the average amount of pocket money a child recieves is £7.82 a week and they can spend that on whatever rubbish they want.

£7.82 on average? :shocking: o.O :shocking:

£1.50 back in my day (1993)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

u were lucky i got 50p a day until i was 12 haha! then it went up to a quid
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

And I thought my parents gave me alot of money. Up until I started 6th form, I usually got £5 a week. (quite alot of which was given back to them as I usually borrowed money for stuff)
  • Options
    I used to get £3 a week from my paper round (I only did Sundays) and a £5 from my parents. I stopped getting money once I hit sixth from and got a Saturday job.

And yes the amount of unheathly products that are pushed in either special offers or at the till points is not a good thing.
  • Options
    if i was 13 with my mummy or daddy's bank card, the first site i went to WOULDNT be tesco.com

plus how many kids have mummy or daddy;s card? i guess...not many :thumb:

That was my point :)
  • Options
    Originally Posted by Monserrat
    £7.82 on average? o.O

so thats £3.50 then £7 a week? thats quite a bit more that £1.50
  • Options
    I am with Miffy on this one. The shop will always put sweets and chocolates and shit at the tills where kids will pester mum or dad or granny for it. That is never going to stop or change. It is about the parent telling the kid NO. That is it, and the end of the day. You see in Nursery these kids who do not understand what no means, they kick and scream and shout because you have told them no to another biscuit or no to playing in the sand. They have learnt if they throw a hissy fit then parents will be embarassed and give in to shut their kid up. Wrong Wrong Wrong.

I know I am not in that position and am seeing it from an outsiders point of view with no children but I have worked with children and seen both ends of it. I have seen kids who start to throw a hissy fit and parents give in and then you see parents who let the kid have a hissy fit, do the packing and walk out of the shop. The kid WILL follow WITHOUT sweets. They have learnt that you are the boss, and what you says goes. If you just give in to every squirm and cry in the supermarket it will take its effect later on also like kicking up a fuss when it is bedtime, mum gives in because she wants and easy life and an easy bedtime. Let the kid fall asleep on the sofa in front of Cbeebies and carry them up. It is all fucked up I'm telling ya! This is the situations which blow up and get so out of control we watch them on telly with house of tiny tearaways and supernanny.

Parents just need to say no. Too many kids think they are the boss and what they says goes, where is that going to take them in life eh?
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    I am with Miffy on this one. The shop will always put sweets and chocolates and shit at the tills where kids will pester mum or dad or granny for it. That is never going to stop or change. It is about the parent telling the kid NO. That is it, and the end of the day. You see in Nursery these kids who do not understand what no means, they kick and scream and shout because you have told them no to another biscuit or no to playing in the sand. They have learnt if they throw a hissy fit then parents will be embarassed and give in to shut their kid up. Wrong Wrong Wrong.

This is very true, but I alwys got told to ignore them - especially if it's just for attention.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    This is very true, but I alwys got told to ignore them - especially if it's just for attention.

Exactly, walk out of the shop and leave them to have a hissy fit; they will soon come running to find you once you are out of eyeshot. I remember my mum doing that to me, I would think oh she will get me them she will and then I watch her leave the shop door and think god Im not getting them and she's going! They soon learn you mean it when you say No. Give in just ONCE and you have blown it! They are little swines are kids :razz:
  • Options
    One thing, I read an article that said it's attitudes not access to foods that is bad for children. Because sweets and chocolate are restricted, they're seen as a reward / luxury thing to have, so of course they'll eat them. Apparently including them as a normal (but moderate) part of a balanced diet loses the 'not allowed' appeal a bit.

:chin: Maybe we should ban our kids from eating greens...

Anyway, was only one persons point of view, some people let their kids eat whatever they want whenever they want and don't focus on the importance of a well balanced diet. But some parents think it's bad practice to include a packet of crisps or sweets in a packed lunch!
  • Options
    Haha same here. I got 50p which went up to a pound when I was about 10.