Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

html problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I need some help with html because I don't understand what is happening.

I have this code on Myspace:

<*center>
<*form method="post" action="http://comments.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.ConfirmComment"&gt;
<*Input type="hidden" name="friendID" value="(myfriendID)"><*textarea style="background-color: deb7c5; background-image: url('');border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" name="f_comments" cols="50" rows="10">Talk To Me....<*/textarea><*br>
<*input style="background-color: d4008c;border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" type="submit" value="Thanks"> <*input style="background-color: d4008c;border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" type="reset" value="Oops!">
<*/form><*br>
<*/center>

When I save it it transforms itself into this:

<*center>
<*form method="post" action="http://comments.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.ConfirmComment"&gt;
..type="hidden" name="friendID" value="(my friendID)"><*textarea style="background-color: deb7c5; background-image: url('');border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" name="f_comments" cols="50" rows="10">Talk To Me....<*/textarea><*br>
..style="background-color: d4008c;border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" type="submit" value="Thanks"> ..style="background-color: d4008c;border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" type="reset" value="Oops!">
<*/form><*br>
<*/center>

Of course I don't have the asterix in, they are just to stop the html being read.
The aim is to create a comment box, I've had one on my account for ages using the coding at the top. Suddenly though lots of text started spewing out the sides of the box. The '<*input' has been replaced with '*..' and it does this every time I save it. Anyone have any idea why it would be doing this?
When it saves the .. the box still appears, it just has all this html text spewing out the sides and I have no idea how to fix it. I think it needs to stay as the '*<input' rather than the '*..' but I can't stop it changing it all.

Comments

• Options
    Myspace filters certain html to stop malicious scripting. I would think if the code worked and now it doesn't they finally had enough of the input box and have stopped allowing that too.

Now all they need to do is filter the style tag and the web will be a much nicer looking place.

So in short, if they've filtered input in the same way they've filtered script, then there's nothing you can do.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Without knowing much about html, it sounds like whatever it is you're entering this code into think some parts are long words and shortens them. I don't know why it would do that suddenly. Maybe a bug on myspace?
  • Options
    ok, Andy, that does make sense except that the box is actually still showing.

it looks like this:
    ..type="hidden" name="friendID" value="(friendID)">
    (then the entire box appears, it looks like it usually does but the post button is missing. It is then followed by more html)..style="background-color: d4008c;border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" type="submit" value="Thanks"> ..style="background-color: d4008c;border-width: 4;border-style: Solid;border-color: 000000;color: 000000;font-family: arial;" type="reset" value="Oops!">

This html afterward is surely the post button?
  • Options
    Let's debug it then, supposing we strip out all the style attributes....
    <center>
    <form method="post" action="http://comments.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.ConfirmComment">
    <Input type="hidden" name="friendID" value="(myfriendID)"><textarea name="f_comments" cols="50" rows="10">Talk To Me....</textarea><br>
    <input  type="submit" value="Thanks"> <input type="reset" value="Oops!">
    </form><br>
    </center>

try the above code and see if it works now.
    My suspiscion is a rouge " but it's a little early in the morning for me to try and locate it...
  • Options
    No, it does the same thingf with the Input again, replacing it with two dots:

..type="hidden" name="ID" value="(ID)">
    (box appears)
    ..type="submit" value="Thanks"> ..type="reset" value="Oops!">
  • Options
    The box will appear because it's the textarea and nothing to do with either of the two input lines. My guess is that they are filtering out inputs.

It's probably done to prevent cross-site scripting attacks or spam but has gone over the top.

There's people moaning about this on the myspace forum. So it's not you or your code it's a myspace change.

The best way to fix it would be not to use myspace.
  • Options
    Yeah, I just looked at the forums, didn't know they had them. They have had a filter put in, so I'm going to just add a link instead. I guess the best way to fix it would be not to use myspace, but then I'd become a social recluse.