Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Condoms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Its only recently that ive started having sex. Having had sex under 5 times (and 3 of theses time unprotected :blush: ) i don't have a lot of idea on how to put a condom on or what it should look like when it is on (e.g. how tight it should be etc). My boyfriend is also quite unexperienced in the condom department :chin: . Can any of the sites users help me out, do you have any info? Any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you! :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Hiya Elf,

Welcome to thesite. Are you using any other form of protection such as the pill? I see from your blushing face that you probably know condoms are the best way of protecting yourself against STDs and therefore its a good idea to get your man kitted out as it were! If you're both mature enough to be having a relationship, you're big enough to sort out some protection. I suggest that together you go to your local Superdrug and have a look at what is on offer...just go for normal sized ones (unless he's got a massive one :p ) and the best way to learn how to use them is to read the information leaflet that comes inside the box and make it fun. This is something that is very important so just play about with them until you get it right.

It's good that you are asking for advice now rather than later. You could also pop down to your local family planning clinic- they will give free condoms and generally unbiased advice. They can also sort you out with the pill or another form of birth control which is also a good idea for extra protection. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! ok well no i am not using any other form of protection (i don't really want to take the pill because he is at uni a lot of the time). We use condoms now but i think he has a smaller than average penis, which is why i am concerned. I have no idea how tight the condom should be and how do you tell what size they are because i can't see a size on the packets i have looked at in Tescos!
  • Options
    Check out thesite.org's information Here

I feel like Helen :)
  • Options
    You should definately be using some sort of protection.
    A condom is nothing to be scared of, and size etc is not really a problem as they're generally pretty stretchy and yet also tight fitting (to avoid any leaks, as it were)

My advice to you is to go get some and make sure he uses them. To be honest, your boyfriend shouldn't be saying (if he is) he's not very experienced with them, because it's quite obvious what to do. I know my girlfriend thinks it hurts me when she puts it on me, but it really doesn't.

The closest anaology i can find is like rolling a sock onto your foot :chin: Seriously, pop it on the top and roll it down.... it's so obvious and easy there's just no excuse if you're not using any other form of protection.

(that is unless of course you either want a baby and go knows what else)
  • Options
    Take it outta the pack, squeeze the pointy tip so no air gets trapped in it, place condom on yer bellend and roll it down.

The best thing you can do is buy a couple packs and test them out when your own your own, there should be instructions in the pack.
  • Options
    On my 16th birthday my mum bought me a pack of condoms and gave me a banana. Not exactly the most discreet way of sex ed but it helped. Obviously a banana isn't exactly like an erect penis but it gave me the general idea. Also in packs of condoms there is a leaflet which tells you how to put it on with funny illustrations.

Some things I found helpful are..

- Take any jewellary such as rings off because it could cause a tear in the condom. It doesn't have to be performed like a military operation. As long as you're pretty careful not to snag long finger-nails on it you should be fine.

-You should make sure you roll the condom the right way down. The ring around the condom should be on the outside and not the inside.

-As you roll it down squeeze the teat at the tip to expel any air.

I used to be really nervous about putting on a condom but you get used to it. The amount of times I've put the condom on with the rubber ring on the inside of the condom! You might make a few mistakes but it's easily rectified by starting afresh with a new condom. Plus he'll probably help you out if you get err stuck anyway :)
  • Options
    use A Condom
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    use A Condom

Think she already knows that tbh :).
  • Options
    Go down to brook or your local family planning clinic thing and ask for some free condoms, they will also offer to show you how to put them on. Watch, learn and try if you are still unsure.
  • Options
    It is a bit of a juggling act, and these instructions are more from uhhh, being behind the penis than in front of it - but if he lies on his back and you kneel between his legs (not too close, a knee on a gonad spoils the mood) it should work.

pinch the tip of the condom with your left hand.

Holding the shaft of the penis in you right hand, gently slide the skin of the penis down, (gently stroke downwards, letting the skin slide past your fingers, let go and move your hand to te top, repeat several times) as far as it will comfortably go, then hold in place between the bottom two fingers and the heel of your right hand

Put the condom on the tip of the penis, keeping the tip pinched. Using the thumb and forefingers of the right hand, gently stroke the condom downwards, causing it to unroll. Once you're about a centimeter under the head you can stop pinching thecondom tip, and use that hand to help. half way down the shaft, you can let go of the skin, but keep unrolling. When you get near to the bottom of the penis, you can slide the skin back up the shaft a little it, and carry on unrolling. Try not to trap any pubes.

As to sizing, it is important to remember your BF does not have a small penis, it is a beautiful cock. The only time you call it small is when you've broken up with him. As long as the condom is tight enough that it doesn't slide off in use there's no problem. there are condoms for those who find normal condoms have a tendancy to slip off, these are advertised as "snug fitting"
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Of couse it's useful for her to know how to use it, but isn't it more important that he knows how to? He's not paralysed or anything.
  • Options
    Of couse it's useful for her to know how to use it, but isn't it more important that he knows how to?

It would be preferable. But he isn't here asking.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice it is the most helpful i have come across on the internet so far! Well so far using a condom is going well, not that he puts it on but at least it is helpful for me to know!