Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the colour purple

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
by Alice Walker.

Has anyone read it?

I didn't really like it much at all and it's apparently a big classic. Did anyone else feel like this?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Eurgh I HATED The Lovely Bones. I think I hate child abuse memoir type things. I think the author who may or (in most cases) may not be telling the truth feed off the publics disgust yet curious attitude towards it. They called my favourite book of all time 'The next Lovely Bones'. I want to kill whoever said that. Gawwwwdd.

Anyway it's about the segregation and is set in the Deep South. It's really harsh but has a happy ending which I think is really unrealistic and kinda almost wimpy of the author.
  • Options
    I read it for A-level, I didn't really think much of it at the time while studying it but I've read it since and second time round thought it was alright. I don't think it's as good as everyone makes out, same as 'The Lovely Bones', that was wayyyyy too hyped up!!
  • Options
    I've read it, and loved it. Love the way it's written, makes it a lot more interesting :) It's certainly better than the film.

For the record, I didn't like The Lovely Bones either though :p