Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question about shaving

Was talking to my mum earlier and she said that if I was to shave my face (I used to have a little bit of blonde hair around my mouth) or my lower arms, it would come back darker. Why?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I was studying Beauty Therapy they told us that it was because you are stimulating the hair follicles. How much of that is bs I don't know. Maybe it's just more noticeable than before? Hmm
  • Options
    Thanks.

Does hair removal cream have the same effect with hair growing back darker & thicker?
  • Options
    yeah my tutor showed me her leg and it the hair on it was so sparse and patchy..she used to have dark hair on her legs but because of waxing hardly anything is there.

i think waxing must permanently damage the folicle because you're pulling it out from the root.
  • Options
    :yes: I was told the same.

I'm not sure if that's the real reason but I know it does grow back thicker and darker. A girl in my class when I was doing beauty therapy used to get me to wax her lower arms, and my mum has her lip and chin waxed. Waxing apparently has the opposite effect, making it grow back finer apparently and giving more time in between. I have really fine hair anyway though, so I can't back this up with personal experience, although the people I've waxed seem to think it's true.

Yeah I've been told the same too and had the same experience with waxing. Don't know why though.

I'll ask when the easter break is over :) :thumb:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Thanks.

Does hair removal cream have the same effect with hair growing back darker & thicker?

Not as much, but it still can.

Waxing FTW. :thumb: I've never had any problems with waxing.. and after 5 or 6x, it may actually stop growing.
  • Options
    I think I got advised against waxing (Nikki* I think said it?) because of the scars I have on my lower arms/legs. And, according to my mum it is painful.
  • Options
    I think I got advised against waxing (Nikki* I think said it?) because of the scars I have on my lower arms/legs.

Yeah should be fine waxing over them though. Some places might be wary but I personally would, unless it was some huge wound that might open up/become infected.
  • Options
    None of my wounds that are that big. However, one of them hasn't scabbed over yet - whereas the others are just white. (or pink)
  • Options
    None of my wounds that are that big. However, one of them hasn't scabbed over yet - whereas the others are just white. (or pink)

Yeah the healed ones would be fine, though some places would be iffy at first. Any that haven't healed they will (or should) avoid :)
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    No probs :) Or just bring yourself to me, I'll wax you :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Shaving does NOT make your hair grow back and thicker, and darker or any faster.
    There is no scientific evidence to show otherwise.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why? Because if you shave, you're cutting off the hairs, right? So you're giving the hair more of a sharpness to the tip rather than a rounded tip, or something along those lines, so it appears to grow back darker. It's not really growing back darker, it just -appears- to. :) As for waxing, I don't know if it does come back lighter or not. Probably to do with the opposite of shaving or something.
  • Options
    ^^That's what I've read too. It's gives the appearance of darker and thicker hair because of the angle it's been shaved off at. It doesn't change the growth of the hair at all, just the appearance.

Waxing is different though - it pulls the hair out at the root, with the root attached. Do that enough times and the follicle becomes damaged and therefore redundant and thus hair won't grow - which is why after a few waxing sessions, you'll notice less hair growth.