Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Talking CCTV Cameras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
CCTV cameras that tell people off for dropping litter or committing anti-social behaviour are to be installed in 20 areas across England.

The cameras are already in use in Middlesbrough where anyone seen misbehaving can be told via a loudspeaker to stop.

Local councillors say the scheme has already prevented criminal damage and cut litter levels.

Do you think they'd work? Should they be put out nationwide?

I'd like to see them trying that in my end of north london-

"Oi, you yobs! Stop muggin that man....i'm warning you! Stop kicking that man in the head and stealing his wallet, or.. or.. or.. some police will arrive in 5-10 minutes. Maybe."

Comments

• Options
    The kind of people who drop rubbish are likely to laugh at this.

On the spot fines are better.

I hate litter and can't stand seeing people drop it in the street, or out of cars, but don't think this will be a very effective way of dealing with it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe the cameras should have a gun installed, that can be controlled remotely. When the camera shouts "Pick up that candy wrapper, kid, or I'll shoot" something will happen. :p
    Ok, let's not be extreme. They should have a club with extendable arm install. To hit people.
  • Options
    They should just employ more people to pick up the litter, a camera won't clean up the streets.
  • Options
    I think its a waste of time to have some guy looking for people littering, could spend there time better looking out for robbers or people dealing drugs. For anti social behaviour, yeah i reckon thats a good idea. But i dunno how good it would be talking to a pissed out there face person, they'd probably end up trying to smash the camera!
  • Options
    they have litter wardens in the city centre over here who give you a £50 fine on the spot for littering

i usually put stuff in a bin, but if someone thought i was going to accept a £50 fine off him on the street for dropping something he'd have another thing coming!

as for the camera, i think its a stupid idea
  • Options
    Well z, you wouldn't have a choice!

Just put your stuff in a bin like you should and then nobody will fine you.

I think on the spot fines for people dropping litter are great. I was brought up to never throw litter, or to hang on to it until there was a bin and it makes me really angry to see people throwing trash everywhere. Don't they have any pride in where they live? I doubt people would throw rubbish in their own garden but they seem quite happy to chuck cans/fag ends out of their car windows.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Well z, you wouldn't have a choice!

the litter wardens aren't the police.. they don't have any power over you

i didn't say that i do litter, and im just letting you know i'd just walk the other way if they tried to hand me any sort of fine

what are they gonna do.. restrain me? .. just pointing out that its pretty ineffective in a lot of cases
  • Options
    Apparently you can get out of parking fines by just driving off. Unless they've placed it on your windscreen or handed it to you, you don't legally have to pay it apparently. But yeah, I don't see how a litter warden can enforce anything. At least with cars they can get your numberplate.

Oh and the cameras, stupid idea. Someone dropped something on the floor. Boo hoo. I can't believe anyone in the world thinks that should be worth £50. Hell, people moan that bank charges of £30 are unlawful because it doesn't cost them £30 to sort it out, yet then support the idea of charging people £50 for dropping a wrapper? Tell me, when did street sweepers start getting paid £50 an hour? Some people won't be happy until there some petty, unnecessary law for everything.

Oh yeah, sorry, cameras. And as for vandals, how many of them listen to an actual member of the police and existing security cameras? You think they'll listen to someone in an office somewhere. I can see that they might work for a bit, but then the novelty will wear off and they won't give a fuck, just like they no longer give a shit about CCTV.
  • Options
    Apparently you can get out of parking fines by just driving off. Unless they've placed it on your windscreen or handed it to you, you don't legally have to pay it apparently

That is true.

I don't want no cunts telling me what to do so I think it's a bad idea myself.
  • Options
    Will make a lot of ppl jump when they aint expecting it - that will be quite comical for about two minutes.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    They should just employ more people to pick up the litter, a camera won't clean up the streets.

:yes:

I saw this on the news last night. TBH, I'm not too sure about this.
  • Options
    Sounds like a pretty bizarre gimmick tbh.

If councils seriously wanted to reduce the amount of litter they'd be best off putting the money into street cleaning.
  • Options
    It's a gimmick.

"Look the streets safer now that we CCTV there. Of course we now have to put one up in the next street because crime is on the increase there"...
  • Options
    It may stop some of it though....
  • Options
    Having a fondness for trespass i have come across quite a few talking cctv cameras and they always do the trick in clearing us off site.

I don't know if it would work well on hoodlums, but it does tend to put off the odd explorer.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    they have litter wardens in the city centre over here who give you a £50 fine on the spot for littering

One council fined a man for putting litter in a public bin, they said he should have put it in his own bin since it was a letter with his address on it.

As for the cameras I think they are good ideas but not for litter and stuff like that but for serious crimes.

For instance where I live a few months ago a gang of about 10 at 4pm robbed loads of people in the high street of their mobile phones and even ran after and stabbed two people for their phones - cameras caught everything and it's on tape but if they'd been a speaker system the operator may have been able to say something to them that stopped them chasing those two people and got them to run off rather then run after them and stab them or if the operator was trained in first aid they could have relayed instructions to the members of the public to help them in providing on site assistance to the stabbing victims such as where to put pressure or elevate their legs, etc.

I think it's a good idea but if the council put it to petty uses it will loose a lot.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I tink it needs to be linked to a system that deploys Destroyer Droids to go and kill people as well.

Not for littering, mind. For things like mugging, assault, etc.
  • Options
    One council fined a man for putting litter in a public bin, they said he should have put it in his own bin since it was a letter with his address on it.

As for the cameras I think they are good ideas but not for litter and stuff like that but for serious crimes.

*loads of waffle*

I think it's a good idea but if the council put it to petty uses it will loose a lot.

yes that's what asbos are used for also, petty enforcement to say you're doing something....

plenty of people in middlebrough are pissed off with them also, like i saw in the newspaper, some 17 year old boy saying that basically him and his friends were hanging out and tlaking, and the CCTV operator told them to move so they just had a go back because they weren't getting up to trouble and they if they aren't doing anything wrong they can stand wherever the hell they want - whichi agree with

if only the people of britain had the balls to actually take down the surveillance equipment like they do in holland with speed cameras and melting tires on top ^
  • Options
    There's definitely a place for CCTV, although I question the point of paying however much a year for an army of operators when you can have fewer operators and the money can be spent on police.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    There's definitely a place for CCTV, although I question the point of paying however much a year for an army of operators when you can have fewer operators and the money can be spent on police.

you know in the past 10 years about 75% of the home office's crime prevention budget was spent on CCTV
  • Options
    How much faith do people have in the police these days though? We've gone down a slippery slope where everything is a threat, and even victims are treated with that 'oi oi' manner.

It's always fighting fire with fire - more crime needs more police - more road deaths needs more speed traps. But at the end of the day it's the person who commits crime who needs to be looked at, whether it's educating them, giving them a job, giving them self respect, or whatever - it will do much more good than shouting at them through a loudspeaker.
  • Options
    wont be long till robots come out the ground to make us pick stuff up
  • Options
    i think its gonna be a waste of time beouse theyl prb end up destoying them so they can mug the old geezer in peace
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »

i think the cctv cameras themselves would be smashed up tbh. :lol:
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    CCTV cameras that tell people off for dropping litter or committing anti-social behaviour are to be installed in 20 areas across England.

The cameras are already in use in Middlesbrough where anyone seen misbehaving can be told via a loudspeaker to stop.

Local councillors say the scheme has already prevented criminal damage and cut litter levels.

I'd like to see them trying that in my end of north london-

"Oi, you yobs! Stop muggin that man....i'm warning you! Stop kicking that man in the head and stealing his wallet, or.. or.. or.. some police will arrive in 5-10 minutes. Maybe."

Hey, it seems to be interesting. I have never heard of such thing before. Thanks for sharing this with us.
  • Options
    Building your post count up to spam later ?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Building your post count up to spam later ?

He's spamming us now. Check his signature thingy at the bottom of his post. He says he has never heard of this story .. from 2007??!! What kinda 'security' man are you?????
  • Options
    What's with all the spamming today? It's really starting to get ridiculous.

If it isn't someone flogging shitty flowers it's some guy trying to pick up women or sell some PUA fuckery.
This discussion has been closed.