Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

WEP Keys....

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
....What's the best way to find out what a WEP key is.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ask someone who knows it.
  • Options
    if its your own router, login to it usin an ethernet cable and get it out of the router settings page
  • Options
    you need a prism 2 wireless chipset and software such as kismet, to grab wep keys from the air
  • Options
    It will be on the side of your box that connects you to the internet. There will be like a bar code with the words WEP key with the number below ... i think.
  • Options
    WEP keys can be brute forced cant they? Because it says no in a different way depending how correct your key was?

Honestly though, I've never needed to do it.
  • Options
    Download BackTrack Auditor if you know how to use Linux, it got everything you need to crack wireless networks and more.

http://www.remote-exploit.org/
  • Options
    Just food for thought, but are we allowed to discuss this on the forums? Is cracking WEP passwords legal? I mean, I can't think of a specific law against it... like there's no specific law against using an unsecured network. But they'll probably fudge something like the data protection act and charge you under that (I mean, we all know in reality you'll never get done and/or charged, unless the US has anything to do with it..). Just dodgy ground a bit imo.

If you've changed your own router, just hard reset it (hold reset button down for 30 seconds) and then log on via lan cable (usually something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1) and normally default username and password are admin / admin. (Or in my new router, it's Admin / 1234 - annoying because after I've changed it, it still says the default is: admin1234 lol)
  • Options
    I don't think there is any reason why we cannot talk about it, after all we're not committing an offence unless we put it in to practice on a network we are not allowed to access.
  • Options
    All it is, is that I've got an old bit of kit that doesn't seem to fancy showing me the WEP when I log on using a cable, and I can't change it.
  • Options
    those clever germans have made breaking WEP even quicker than before
  • Options
    surely you can reset it and the WEP will be reset too...?