Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blisters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I've just noticed I have a ridiculously large blister on my foot from last night. How I didn't notice my shoes rubbing me I don't know, god bless alcohol.

So yeah, it's quite sore. Nothing I can't handle without shoes on, but unfortunetly tonight I'm off for a meal so need to wear proper shoes. It's too big for me to put a plaster over (it's almost the same height as my thumb) but some of the skin has already rubbed away so shoes are going to be a bastard.

Anyone got any tips on covering it without a plaster?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Ok, so I've just noticed I have a ridiculously large blister on my foot from last night. How I didn't notice my shoes rubbing me I don't know, god bless alcohol.

So yeah, it's quite sore. Nothing I can't handle without shoes on, but unfortunetly tonight I'm off for a meal so need to wear proper shoes. It's too big for me to put a plaster over (it's almost the same height as my thumb) but some of the skin has already rubbed away so shoes are going to be a bastard.

Anyone got any tips on covering it without a plaster?

Pop savlon on it today, and you will have to have a plaster, but go to Boots ( i know you love it there) and get some see-through plasters in a multi pack, you get HUGE ones in them. Wear socks today if you where shoes anywhere, and when at home just walk around bear footed.
    I feel your pain missy!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I always pop friction blisters on my foot, and then strap it up with either a bandange, plaster or even duck tape.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Skive wrote: »
    duck tape.
    :sour: does that not pull the skin off with it when you take it off?
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I always pop friction blisters on my foot, and then strap it up with either a bandange, plaster or even duck tape.

:yes:.

Except the duct tape bit :yuck:.

When I got a blister on the ball of my foot (HUGE it was), I popped it, and the first aid lady (I couldn't walk, so needed her :p) put a BREATHABLE plaster on it and a bandage with padding :yes:. It made it a lot easier to walk, although I don't know how easy it'll be to put proper shoes on over it...
  • Options
    I'd go with popping it, then bandaging it up in some way. Soak your foot in lots of warm water to get the skin really soft before you pop in, then put some kind of soothing cream on the area. Wear comfy shoes or no shoes today if you can.

If it's still really painful, you could just employ the same tatics as last night and drown out the pain with alcohol consumption :p
  • Options

If it's still really painful, you could just employ the same tatics as last night and drown out the pain with alcohol consumption :p

I'm seriously considering that option.

Unfortunetly not going tonight isn't an option, so I've got to wear some form of shoe :crying: . It's my boyfriends mum's birthday/ their 20th wedding anniversary and this goddamn meal has been planned for months.

Outfit rethink I'm thinking. :) Cheers guys.
  • Options
    Blister plasters? They are virtually see through but are expensive. (or so I'm told)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Blister plasters? They are virtually see through but are expensive. (or so I'm told)
    They're also rubbish and don't help ;). They say they are breathable but they LIE. My foot was manky for three days with those on, and after I ran out, it only took a day to dry up completely. Says it all, really. They're a waste of money, seriously.
  • Options
    They were fine with me. Although, I found that walking around barefoot and giving the blister as much air as possible worked better.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    They were fine with me. Although, I found that walking around barefoot and giving the blister as much air as possible worked better.
    To be fair, it may have had something to do with the fact that it didn't cover the whole thing, as my blister was MASSIVE (I took a picture, but deleted it because someone wanted to send me something to my phone), and because it was on the ball of my foot.

Still a waste of money though, bandages would work much better.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote: »
    :yes:.

Except the duct tape bit :yuck:.

I've used duck tape before when I'm work in a new pair of boots and there're no plasters or bandages about. Works suprisingly well but wouldn't be first choice.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Blister plasters are good, you can get really big ones (oval shaped) but i can't remember the brand name. Just put one on and leave it on 3/4 days - they're actually waterproof aswell.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Blister plasters are good, you can get really big ones (oval shaped) but i can't remember the brand name. Just put one on and leave it on 3/4 days - they're actually waterproof aswell.

Compeed?
  • Options
    dont pop it whatever you do, it hurts like a bitch when you do! Savlon and cover it up
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    dont pop it whatever you do, it hurts like a bitch when you do! Savlon and cover it up

:yes: This does seem like a sensible idea.