Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The patch?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm hating being on the pill, i've put on a stone and i'm always hungry. I don't fancy the shot or implant because you don't get any break from the hormones. I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences of the patch? I'm also worried about coming off it because i used to have really bad periods. Can the patch control them aswell?

Comments

• Options
    The patch has the same hormones in as the combined pill does, and has the same effects on your body (so yes, it can help control periods) so if the pill didn't suit you, there's a fair chance the patch won't either. However, like the pill, it's easy enough to get the hormones out of your system, and it's free, so might be worth a go!
  • Options
    I thought they wouldn't give you the coil unless you'd had a baby? My mum has it and from what she's told me - it sounds so painful. I'm pretty stuck really, these hormones aren't agreeing with me yet i can't risk getting pregnant.
  • Options
    Nope, you can be fitted with a coil even if you haven't given birth or been pregnant before. Did your mum have a copper coil? I have the hormonal one (very low dose of hormones) and I love it, wouldn't change it for the world. The fitting itself lasted 15 minutes and was only uncomfortable for about 5 seconds.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Nope, you can be fitted with a coil even if you haven't given birth or been pregnant before. Did your mum have a copper coil? I have the hormonal one (very low dose of hormones) and I love it, wouldn't change it for the world. The fitting itself lasted 15 minutes and was only uncomfortable for about 5 seconds.

I don't know, she had to have it fitted on her period and it was so painful she threw up when they did it.
  • Options
    Well, everyone reacts differently to pain, but you are in your body, not your mums, I'd second littlestar's suggestion that you have a chat about it with a family planning nurse or someone.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I don't fancy the shot or implant because you don't get any break from the hormones.

To be fair, you don't actually get a full "break" from the hormones when on the pill as there has to be enough hormone in your body to enable you to be protected during your 7 pill free days. Also, there is no reason you need a break otherwise obviously, they wouldn't provide long term options such as the implant or injections. Or indeed the hormonal coil :)

Obviously if you're not comfortable with it then fair enough. But I can't sing the implants praises loud enough, the pill really messed me about, my weight shot up, I was constantly moody and irritable. I was switched onto the implant and I'm my normal self (and my weight shot back down haha :))

Just something else to consider like :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

I had pain for the following 48 hours after having the hormonal coil fitted, although it wasn't quite as bad as having the copper coil fitted which I'd have 6 years earlier where I felt completely weak, was in so much pain I couldn't move and was actually sick through the pain.

They were nervous when I had the copper coil fitted and said that they couldn't always fit it in people who hadn't had a baby. But nothing of the sort was said when I went for the hormonal one, although I suppose since I'd had one fitted they knew it was ok.

But saying that 48 hours of pain was worth it as far as I'm concerned.