Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

toning up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody got some good toning up exercises or stretches they wanna share?

I need to tone up my "legs, bum, and tum" region but I'm not really sure where to start. I'm thinking exercises I can just do at home rather than joining a class. I've already started on sit-ups and I go for the odd run. Anything else, or any websites with tips I could try?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get your arse to stumptuous and remove the word 'tone' from your vocab ;)

Nah, seriously, it's an excellent site, but what sort of results are you intending to get? When I think of someone as 'toned' I think of people like Evangeline Lily who are lean, with muscular definition. The only way to get to that shape is to reduce body fat, and increase muscle by lifting weights.

Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat, so all the sit-ups in the world won't give you washboard abs, you'll need to do some intense cardio too to reduce the fat overlying the muscle, same goes with other muscle groups. When you run, do you run at a steady pace, or do you vary the intensity? I've found High Intensity Interval Training really effective and it has improved my stamina to no end.

If you don't want to go to classes or join a gym to get results, you can easily buy some weights (Argos has a good deal on freeweights for £20) and this site has a very good database on the type of exercises you can do for muscle groups.

And if you really want to go for it :D I'd highly recommend doing the squat, as it's a great compound exercise for the legs, bum and abdomen, but I wouldn't suggest you try it without a fitness instructor showing you first.

Out of all that however, the best thing you can do to help youself work towards a leaner body is to make changes to your eating habits if they're not that great. If they are, fab! If not, then it's really important to get it sorted as what you eat is more important when you're exercising, as you need to give your body the right fuel.