Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

weekend in Liverpool

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
In a couple of weeks I'll be spending the weekend in Liverpool. Hotel is sorted, am just after some recommendations of stuff to do/see/places to go out/nice restaurants? Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Where abouts are you staying? And what kind of food/music/environment you looking for my deary?
  • Options
    I'm staying at the new malmaison, I think it's by the docks.

Anything really, but not chain places, individual places unique to Liverpool. I'll be going with my boyfriend and he likes football, cars and beer. Although he doesn't have much choice as to what we'll be doing! :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Well obviously liking footie, Im sure you will be dragged to anfield hehe! I haven't been myselgf, but others say it is quite an experience.
    I havent heard of that hotel, but I havent lived there for nearly a year now, so that is possibly why. If you are down at the Docks, you should go to baby cream and blue just for the craic really. I would go during the day, as its normally brimming with celebs and footballers on a Friday and Saturday (unless however you fancy becoming a footballers wife - as I often do :p)
    You should go on the yellow boat thing...I cant remember what it is called, it takes you on a tour of liverpool and the docks, actually had quite a giggle on it.
    I always wanted to do the Williamson Tunnels, they are supposed to be awe inspiring. All underground under Liverpool.
    I would also recommend the cathedrals, especially Paddy's wigwam (you will know which one I mean when you see it) Inside is beautiful, and there is such a special feeling, not something for a long period of time.
    The shops are ok, not fab. But if you go to the new Met Quarter with your man's credit card, I am sure you will have a great time!
    With restaurants I found the best ones were the smaller ones, there is a small Italian down a small road that runs opposite the Lisbon pub (gay pub in gay town) Im so sorry, I dont know the name, but it is amazing. So if you spot The Lisbon go looking for the restaurant.
    A bit further out of town is Jalons, thats a very nice place too, and houses the occasional celeb too! That is on Smithdown Road, but easy to just pop in a black cab, should cost about £5 to get there. Go on a week night before 7 if you can, they have deals on, it was 2 courses for £10, and the food is amazing!
    Also, at the docks there is the Beatles museum, which is always worth a nosey, but I think it is a bit pricey, and whilst on the Bs, you must go to the Cavern (which is where they first played, although its not the original place I dont think) for a drink its on Cavern Street, which is off Matthew Street where a lot of the bars are.
    Another restaurant is the Italian kitchen which is near Nandos and La Tasca, but again a taxi will know exactly where to go.
    Thats all I can think of for now, but if you want to know anything else, just give me a yell!
    Will you be there when the racing is on (12th, 13th and 14th)? If so, booking in advance for restaurants maybe needed, it was often a nightmare to get anywhere. If you are there for the races, you should go down, get on the train from Central Station (in the middle of town) and go to aintree. The race course is directly opposite the station.
    Have fun! :)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    You should go on the yellow boat thing...I cant remember what it is called, it takes you on a tour of liverpool and the docks, actually had quite a giggle on it.

It's called "Duck Tour" :thumb:

I would recommend this website to have a mooch around : http://www.visitliverpool.com/

I live in Liverpool but I haven't been single/couple and free to go where-ever for 6 years so I'm afraid I'm no good for recommendations. Just be warned, alot of Liverpool City Centre is a building site at the minute (especially the main shopping street, Church Street) and likely to remain that way for some time. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Restaurants that are nice: Il Forno http://www.ilforno.co.uk/, The Monro http://www.themonro.com/

If cocktails are your thing and youve got money to spend try the docks as suggested or Alma De Cuba, which is on Seel Street http://www.alma-de-cuba.com/

The catherdrals are gorgeous. If its a nice day go up to the top of the Anglican one.

Actually, if its a nice day get the train to Freshfield and go see the Red Squirrels and have a picnic in the dunes. Or the Anthony Gormley "Another Place" exhibition is still apparently on display on Crosby Beach, which is also worth a look.

If its nasty there are about a million museums. The Tate is on the Docks, or the Science museum just got re-done and isnt too shabby.

Just some ideas.
  • Options
    Do the anfield tour - any football fan will enjoy (except blues and mancs).
    Shopping is decent.
    Beatles experience.
    The Cavern.
    Eat at the albert dock - HaHa, Est Est Est or Pan America!
    Then get your drinking boots on!

Depending on what type of clubbing you like i recommend the following....

Garlands, Masque, Nation, G-bar, Lemon Lounge. Also Newz bar is really nice and quite likely you'll bump into some of the Liverpool team.

Or heebie Geebies - again possible you'll bump into some of the hollyoaks cast.

And take him to Angels or X in the City for a cheeky lap dance. :D
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Do the anfield tour - any football fan will enjoy (except blues and mancs).
    Shopping is decent.
    Beatles experience.
    The Cavern.
    Eat at the albert dock - HaHa, Est Est Est or Pan America!
    Then get your drinking boots on!

Depending on what type of clubbing you like i recommend the following....

Garlands, Masque, Nation, G-bar, Lemon Lounge. Also Newz bar is really nice and quite likely you'll bump into some of the Liverpool team.

Or heebie Geebies - again possible you'll bump into some of the hollyoaks cast.

And take him to Angels or X in the City for a cheeky lap dance. :D

Thanks for the tips! I'll bear them all in mine when I go. He's a Man U fan (:sour: ) so don't think he'd appreciate a tour of Anfield :)

Tough anyway. he can come shopping and drinking tea and girly type stuff. :thumb:
  • Options
    When are you going? because there's special events running over the year with it being Liverpool's 800th birthday.

There's a lot of hidden things down little streets, but I'd be weary of wandering down them on your own if you don't know the area.
    There's the Phlharmonic, which has different music each week, mainly classical. There's also lots of smaller hidden galleries.