Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to wear to a wedding?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my oldest friends is getting married on 7th July. I haven't been to a wedding for over a decade and I need some advice on what to wear..

It's going to be a dress or a skirt and top. I'm just a bit confused about what colour to wear. I know you're not supposed to wear white, but is white as a background and some other colour over the top okay (like a white with pink flowers pattern for example)? Would anything with black in (as a feature in the pattern, not the main colour) be okay, or should I steer away from anything black at all?

If it makes any difference, my friend is actually wearing a very pale pink dress and the bridesmaids are in red. I'm not a bridesmaid so don't really want to wear red and look like I'm trying to look like one when I'm in pictures and stuff!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    My suggestion would be to wear anything you feel good in! Weddings are a time to get dressed up and have fun... don't get too caught up on the do's and don'ts of wedding fashion... :)
  • Options
    oooo you are gorgeous and have long legs, get a nice strapless mint green or even emerald green cocktail style dress. You would look gorgeous in green.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    oooo you are gorgeous..

:blush: I am?!

(have just added my MySpace address to my profile - check you're talking about the right person! ;))
  • Options
    Yes yes, i was talking about you....gorgeous brown hair and light (flawless skin) and i bet you have green/hazel eyes.

Trust me go with a green cocktail dress, if i were you id go for the emerald green, but minty green would also be GORGEOUS on you :)
  • Options
    My sisters gettin married soon and im wearing a black and white dress out of New Look with a pair of leggings under nothing too formal but just something that looks good and i feel good in

I think what Amira said about the green cocktail dress i think that would look nice :)
  • Options
    my cousin is gettin married in july, i've got a prom style dress

white background with pale pink flowers and banding

VERY girly for me, but what the hell, its a summer wedding haha!

white is fine! but break it up with other colours, i wouldnt wear black personally, but thats up to you x
  • Options
    Pic attached showed what I wore for my bro's wedding last summer if that's any help. It was a very formal wedding though and what you were depends on that as well.

I'm the one in aqua, my sis in law is the one in the reddy coloured outfit.
  • Options
    Awww, you look lovely!

Personally I'd probably go for a cocktail dress/prom dress. I've got a gorgeous vintage turquoise 1950's prom dress which I wore for my leaving ball, if I have any summer weddings I'll be wearing that without doubt
  • Options
    My own view is that you shouldn't wear anything too 'trendy' - it should be timeless and sheek.

Somthing like this would be nice for a summer wedding (depending on your colouring)

Occassion wear at Debenhams have a lot of good weddingesque attire.

Good luck! :thumb:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Oooh I like the first one Bumblebee said. Thats very nice.
    as is this http://www.coast-stores.co.uk/site.htm
  • Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! :D

I think a trip to Meadowhall (inc Debenhams and Coast!) is in order...

Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Pic attached showed what I wore for my bro's wedding last summer if that's any help. It was a very formal wedding though and what you were depends on that as well.

I'm the one in aqua, my sis in law is the one in the reddy coloured outfit.

That's a nice outfit. Nice matching hat and shoes with the dress too.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! :D

I think a trip to Meadowhall (inc Debenhams and Coast!) is in order...

Thanks again! :)

:yes:

I love meadowhall:heart: I got a nice dress for a wedding that was a month ago from Monsoon there. Deffo have a look at Monsoon!!!