Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Risking everything for love?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Telling one of your closest friends you're in love with them or keep quiet?

They have a girlfriend we had a ONS last year when they were on a break.

We're best mates, we get on so well, always out together, always a spark.

The thing is if I tell him I'm risking everything, our friendship, possibly our whole circle of friends as things will never be the same again if he doesn't feel the same.

This is tearing me up inside though and I just don'r know what to do :crying:

I've suggested not being pals anymore as his girlfriend is pretty jealous of our friendship but he said that was stupid.

Any self-help books out there? :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Don't say anything if he already has a girlfriend. It's just unfair to do that.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    :yes: man speaks the troof.
  • Options
    One of my mates recently fessed up to a good friend of theirs about how they felt- it didn't go too good. Just be careful and think about if you're willing to lose them should it all go wrong. If it's meant to happen, it will. Trust me xXx
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »

So what would your advice be?

It's tearing me apart - I've been able to cope until now and just put it at the back of my mind

Love hurts!!! :mad:
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    One of my mates recently fessed up to a good friend of theirs about how they felt- it didn't go too good. Just be careful and think about if you're willing to lose them should it all go wrong. If it's meant to happen, it will. Trust me xXx

Yeh, I really dont want to lose them and I know I shouldn't feel this way about them.

Sometimes you cant help who you fall for though :rolleyes: :(
  • Options
    Im always for people taking a risk, cos if you dont take risks in life you get nowhere. However you need to be prepared that you could ruin your friendship and everything else with this guy.

Think to yourself, if you prepared to accept the worst outcome then go ahead. However if things dont go as planned and you would regret it; then dont do it.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Denim,
    Welcome to TheSite :wave:

It sounds like quite an akward situation and I'm sorry to hear it's upsetting you so much.

I know it's the biggest cliche in the book, but while partners can come and go, friends can last a lifetime and the fact you and this guy get on so well, "always go out together and have a spark" is not something to sniff at - those friendships are the ones to really cherish. However, it's worth bearing in mind that if your frienship doesn't develop into more, and you want to continue being pals, then the chances are that you will need to make some effort with his girlfriend too.

You say you had a one night stand which does complicate things somewhat. On the one hand, there's a good chance he knows you fancy him and likes you too, but perhaps not enough to have a full-on relationship with you - afterall he did go back to his current girlfriend.
    On the other hand, he might well like you more, but is unsure about what the future might hold for the two of you and is afraid to say anything. But to be honest, this does seem like the more unlikely of the two options since you are already so close.

You might find the following articles help you to think about these two possibilities further -

Fancied friend

I love my best friend

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Im always for people taking a risk, cos if you dont take risks in life you get nowhere.QUOTE]

Tis true. But me and the boy started off as friends (well- colleagues :blush: ) who fancied eachother. We got talking about ex's one day and he told me he didn't stay in touch with his- just made a clean break. I decided that I didn't want to lose contact with him if we were to break up which put me off doign anything for a while. Luckily we both felt the same and decided to give it a go. That was over a year ago and we're great together. That said, I think there are as many success stories as there are sob stories when it comes to announcing your love for a mate.

That quote SO did not work- but you know what I'm getting at. Blonde moment!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Hey Denim,
    Welcome to TheSite :wave:

It sounds like quite an akward situation and I'm sorry to hear it's upsetting you so much.

I know it's the biggest cliche in the book, but while partners can come and go, friends can last a lifetime and the fact you and this guy get on so well, "always go out together and have a spark" is not something to sniff at - those friendships are the ones to really cherish. However, it's worth bearing in mind that if your frienship doesn't develop into more, and you want to continue being pals, then the chances are that you will need to make some effort with his girlfriend too.

You say you had a one night stand which does complicate things somewhat. On the one hand, there's a good chance he knows you fancy him and likes you too, but perhaps not enough to have a full-on relationship with you - afterall he did go back to his current girlfriend.
    On the other hand, he might well like you more, but is unsure about what the future might hold for the two of you and is afraid to say anything. But to be honest, this does seem like the more unlikely of the two options since you are already so close.

You might find the following articles help you to think about these two possibilities further -

Fancied friend

I love my best friend

Hope this helps :)

Thanks very much for that I'll have a read :thumb:
  • Options
    *denim* wrote: »
    So what would your advice be?

It's tearing me apart - I've been able to cope until now and just put it at the back of my mind

Love hurts!!! :mad:

Unfortunately that *is* my advice.

Other people have stepped forwards now :)
  • Options
    I've never understood this falling in love with your friends lark.

Lol sorry i have no advice.
  • Options
    *denim* wrote: »
    Telling one of your closest friends you're in love with them or keep quiet?

They have a girlfriend we had a ONS last year when they were on a break.

We're best mates, we get on so well, always out together, always a spark.

The thing is if I tell him I'm risking everything, our friendship, possibly our whole circle of friends as things will never be the same again if he doesn't feel the same.

This is tearing me up inside though and I just don'r know what to do :crying:

I've suggested not being pals anymore as his girlfriend is pretty jealous of our friendship but he said that was stupid.

Any self-help books out there? :banghead:

keep quiet and move to the background. Don't think about it much, and try to get a bit of space inbetween so you don't go crazy. I only say this because he has a girlfriend and it's pretty unfair.
    I don't think it's unsensible to say that there is nothing wrong to wait and close in for the kill if there is a break or a breakup.
  • Options
    He has a girlfriend so I would leave it.

Saying that, I told a friend of mine that I fancied him last year (he has a girlfriend who I've met a few times) and it went alright. However, I've also been in the situation where I told someone I fancied him and it got rather awkward and complicated.
  • Options
    like calvin i'd personally take the risk. i don't get the relationships fade, friends last forever line of arguments because i've had an awful lot more friendships change and fade over time than i have relationships.

if it's tearing you up inside it will either make you really really miserable (not good) or make you do something stupid (also not good). I'd tell him how you feel and if he feels the same way then I'm afraid his girlfriend is his responsibility. you can't help how you feel and if he reciprocates he shouldn't be with her.

hopefully if he's such a nice bloke, he'll be able to reject you without informing your whole circle of friends if he does so.

lovers are better than friends if that's the way you feel. :love: you just have to ask, is he worth the risk?
  • Options
    Since he's got a g/f I'd say leave it.

If a friendship is strong enough it will last through telling each other anything at all and it really should just be between the two of you and have no effect on the rest of your friendship circle.
  • Options
    Tbh i doubt you're actually in love. It's just the thrill of wanting something that you can't have. He has a gf, this isn't your place to step in and declare your undying love for him. How would you feel if you were her?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    keep quiet and move to the background. Don't think about it much, and try to get a bit of space inbetween so you don't go crazy. I only say this because he has a girlfriend and it's pretty unfair.
    I don't think it's unsensible to say that there is nothing wrong to wait and close in for the kill if there is a break or a breakup.

I try to keep to the background but we go to all the same places, have the same circle of friends.

His girl goes psycho about me already so I told him we should stop being mates to which of course he said no dont be so stupid

Another friend asked me the other night what I'd say if he split up with her and asked me out, I said of ocurse I'd go out with him, I just don't know that he'd ask me for sure....:crying:

We have slept together and it hurt me then that he got back together with her, it's like I'm his fuckin shoulder to cry on or the 'third' person in a relationship.

I've only ever felt like this about one other person in my life, they were my soulmate and I watched them die in front me I just dunno if I can take the chance of losing another one. How many chances at real love does one get?

But there's the girlfriend getting in the way 'thing' :banghead: (and I know I shouldn't feel like she is 'getting in the way' )

If we dont speak for a day it's weird, we're that close.

I don't know if I should just spell it out to him and fuck the consequences because carrying on in the background isn't doing me any good...

I have this horrible horrible feeling that I'm so used to being treated like a cunt and that's what he's doing he just doesn't realise he's doing it? :no:

We're emailing and I'm crying :crying:
  • Options
    Ermm any advice? :confused: :eek2: :no:
  • Options
    I think you should reduce contact with this guy drastically. It's clearly doing you no good and whilst he has a girlfriend nothing good will come out of you telling him you love him.

If you're emailing, texting, calling, meeting, etc, then naturally it won't be easy to stay in the background as you're everything but!

Maybe you could tell him you're finding it hard to meet him so much because you may be developing feelings for him or something like that. You need to do something, pretending like everything is a-okay when it clearly isn't is only going to tear you apart and unrequited love is not worth it.

All the best!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice on this thread.

We've been out together both nghts this weekend, and he kinda knows how I feel (sort of) and I know how he feels so we're just gonna let nature take it's course.....

Of course it doesn't help that because we're such good friends we could risk a fantastic friendship, I'll just have to see what happens when him and his girlfriend split up which is on the cards. :rolleyes: